Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Dog blinded by UPS driver

I have a 14 year old rat terrier that I love dearly, and part of that love is being a responsible owner. He is under my supervision at all times when outside, and I let him off the leash only on the last block as we return from a walk and even then ONLY if nobody is around.

We have been walking and running most of his life and while he is still a terrier and acts like an idiot the first encounter with any dog I'm right there with the leash firmly attached and in most cases the dogs end up being friends.

so yes while I LOVE my dog, and I would be heart broken if anything like this happened to him, I also realize it's MY responsibility that he does not hurt anyone else human or animal, and by the same token I'm there to protect him if he needs help, which he actually needed once from an aggressive german shepperd and a totally ignorant owner.
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

As the owner of a 15 stone (210lb) St Bernard, with probably one of the most powerful bite forces of any dog, and a 10 stone (140lb) Pyrenean Mountain Dog (bred as pastoral guard dogs), who closely resembles a cross between a chainsaw and a woodchipper when she's angry, I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion that 100% of the responsibility is with the dog owner. However, there is also a great deal of irresponsible behaviour from other people towards dogs who are otherwise well controlled.

When walking Rosie & George, my wife and I tie a yellow ribbon to their lead (leash). This warning sign is becoming increasingly well known in England, and hopefully it will reach the point where everyone is educated as to its meaning.

Basically, it states "please don't approach my dog, as she/he may be old/ill/nervous/aggressive". The number of parents who allow their children to run up to dogs without asking permission or advice from the owner/walker is ridiculous.

Sorry, but if your child goes home with its head in a bag because you weren't responsible enough to check with me first, you're a retard.

Anyone need anything? I'm shipping one extra today.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

It was the dog owners fault. Period. It was not the dogs fault. The UPS driver reacted. Most of us don't know how we will react when surprised.
    Tenors: Lanikai NKT, Honu KXXXe-inf, Wixom #142, Pono RTSH PCC cedar/rosewood
    Baritones: Kala ASAC-B, Pono MB

Could have been a girlscout instead of a grown man, then it might have been really tragic.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Could have been a girlscout instead of a grown man, then it might have been really tragic.
    Hmm.... I'm thinking if it had been a girlscout, the little dog would still have 2 good eyes, and the girl would have been fine.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 06-23-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    I don't think the delivery guy would have hit a Girl Scout!
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Hmm.... I'm thinking if it had been a girlscout, the little dog would still have 2 good eyes, and the girl would have been fine.
    I doubt a girl scout would have gone uninjured in this situation.
    -John Lennon-

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

I'm a dog owner, and have been all my life. So, I have some knowledge and experience with this kind of thing. Here is what I think:

1. It's the owner's responsibility to train his dog not to go after people in an aggressive way. Any dog can be trained to behave properly. Yes, training is expensive. If you can't afford it, don't own a dog.
    2. It's the owner's responsibility to supervise his dog at all times. That means you know where your dog is, and what its doing. Sure, accidents happen, but that's no excuse.
    3. People who are afraid of dogs should not work for UPS, FedEx, USPO, or have any other job that regularly brings them in contact with dogs. People like that have a responsibility to avoid other people's dogs, and to get psychological help.
    4. Employers such as UPS have a responsibility to train their employees in specific methods for dealing with aggressive dogs. "Going back to the truck," simply doesn't get it.
    5. The overwhelming number of dogs are not dangerous. But all dogs, unless trained otherwise, will act in a protective manner when strangers come onto their property. If a person can't tell the difference between a normally protective dog and a viciously aggressive dog, that person should get some training. Dogs are everywhere. Everyone needs to know how to deal with them.

Finally, a word about this particular incident. The UPS driver acted like an idiot. If he was actually afraid of the dog, the absolutely worst thing he could have done was bend down and extend his arm toward it as he did. If that dog had actually been a vicious animal, it would have torn his arm off. Even a small dog, given an open opportunity like that, could have ripped open a major artery and killed the guy.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Even a small dog, given an open opportunity like that, could have ripped open a major artery and killed the guy.
    I appreciate, as a dog owner yourself, your taking the "overreaction to a harmless, small dog" angle out of this thread. Thank you, Vegas.

UPS driver attacks homeowner. Homeowner attacks UPS driver. Unrestrained dog attacks homeowner.

Those are not what happened. What happened is unrestrained dog attacks UPS driver.

To blame the UPS driver is like blaming a grandmother for smashing a purse-snatcher across the face with her pocketbook.

And if she blinds the purse-snatcher, so much the better.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 09-22-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Thread Information