Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 187

Thread: Ever encountered guitarists who are snobby towards the uke?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara, California
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Chen View Post
    And what do you say to them?
    I don't say anything. It's more fun to just smile and laugh about them in my head. It's more enjoyable when they DON'T know how ridiculous they are. Plus you usually can't change those peoples minds, not worth it. Spend your energy on someone else who is likely to actually be interested in the ukulele.
    My YouTube Channel
    Ukulele + Guilele Fretboard Note Chart!
    Ohana TK-35G - "Lamia" - Fremont Blacklines
    Kala Acacia Tenor - "Harry" - Fremont Blackline Low G
    KoAloha D-VI - "Kubrick"
    Cordoba Guilele CE
    Gretsch G9126 Guitar-Ukulele

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    You know you don't have to hit CR every time you reach the right hand side of the screen?
    I kind of like it. It's like free verse.



  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Excellent post, because I'm 64 years old and that is exactly how I feel about my ukulele.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

    I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    You know you don't have to hit CR every time you reach the right hand side of the screen?
    not sure what that evens didn't think my typing would be such an issue damn son! sorry i will bow to thee typing master!
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    787

    Default

    This is Mark Stewart, Paul Simon's guitarist and music director - and an all around nice guy. I will allow him to dispel the "serious musician" myth.

    Thou Shalt Not.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    See? Musical snobbery is not just the domain of guitar players. Hilarious, ironic post to prove the point. Well done!
    LOL, so now wanting to play/hear a musical instrument vs a souvenir is snobbery

    The answer why the ukulele is not considered a real instrument is because so many of them aren't. Ironic

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Victor makes some of the same points as Mark in this one.

    ...and he specifically states that his first instrument was a plastic Mickey Mouse guitar.




    By the way, I am usually averse to TED talks. These just happen to be what I found on YouTube.
    Thou Shalt Not.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    152

    Default

    [QUOTE=iamesperambient;1542752]


    again not everyone has the funds for high end ukes.
    a 150 dollar uke is expensive to me at the moment.....[quote]


    I was very clear that I was not talking about high-end ukuleles. So please don't put words in my mouth...thanks

    I was also clear that it was not about the talent of the player, and I was also clear I was going to pi$$ everyone off.

    The bottom line is there is a very good reason why people think ukuleles are toys!! There are thousands of toy ukes made each month!
    As long as there is a demand for them they will continue to make these low-quality novelties.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    DFW, TX, USA
    Posts
    8,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    I took up the guitar 37 years ago to get laid.

    I took up the ukulele 2 years ago because I love the sound and versatility of the instrument...and also because it's a handy thing to have around to practice on while I'm waiting to get laid.
    37 years...man that's a long wait... LOL
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

    Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii 5min away from waikiki
    Posts
    28,162

    Default

    I still enjoy my first uke and all my ukes...you know, I used to blame I had a cheap uke when I first started too...that may be right for I did not
    know how to tune it properly....but now many years later, I can have fun on any uke....does not matter of it's cost or looks....
    now all you that blame the uke for your insufficent ability to play should be ashamed of yourself...if it can be tuned it can be played and enjoyed too..just sayin"
    As for the snobs, I say relax and just enjoy the journey whatever instrument it may be....so nice to meet people with the same passions, intrests, as I do.....happy strummings
    Last edited by mm stan; 06-24-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •