Ever encountered guitarists who are snobby towards the uke?

same goes for guitar pretty sure robert johnsonand
other old blues guitar pioneers played cheap low end
guitars and who would argue or slag robert Johnson's
guitar if he was stil alive today ? I still go if you play good
and can't afford something expensive
it's really the player to take serious not the instrument
just my opinion and same goes for uke.

....and yet toy ukuleles continue to flood the market. More so than any other stringed instrument. That is why the ukulele is not taken seriously. People play toy ukes more than they play toy guitars, toy violins, toy cellos, etc.

Most people on this site play way better than me. But a lot of them appear to be tone deaf to the sound of their instrument. Like I always said.....we get used to the sound we hear.

Understand I am on the same side as the rest of you. I LOVE the ukulele. It is my instrument of choice, but how do you expect others to take us seriously if we promote souvenirs?

I'm sure I am going to pi$$ off a lot of you so I apologize in advance, BUT..tons of ukuleles that are being played ARE toys. I don't agree that a good player can make any junk uke sound good. I think THEY play fantastic but that uke is still a cheap, plastic sounding toy.

Not a day goes by that I don't say "Why are these toy/souvenir brands even made, why are music stores carrying them? Then I remember they are they constantly recommended here! If we want people to take our instrument seriously, we need to play real musical instruments. You can't make an ukulele for $1, wholesale them for $5, retail them for $80, and then expect them to be taken seriously! Who would think a violin was real in a case like that?

Cheaply made brands are sending the wrong message and I will not support them. I tell people to wait until they can buy a proper instrument to learn on.

I never recommend a toy ukulele to a person who wants to learn how to play. If an uke needs to be set-up in order for them to become playable, that is the first red flag. Yet everyone here encourages getting a cheap-o and having it "fixed". Then the player develops a tin ear and thinks it is a real musical instrument.

That is why most people (not just guitarist) think the uke is just a toy. I agree with them. There are so many great players on this site, I watch your videos in awe all the time thinking....he is so good but the uke sounds like a toy.

For the record I am not talking about imports vs Hawaiian made. I am not talking about high-end expensive vs low priced. I am talking about PROPERLY MADE instruments in solid wood that are not mass-produced and that do not have to be set-up so you can play them in tune up the fretboard!

See? Musical snobbery is not just the domain of guitar players. Hilarious, ironic post to prove the point. Well done!

....and yet toy ukuleles continue to flood the market. More so than any other stringed instrument. That is why the ukulele is not taken seriously. People play toy ukes more than they play toy guitars, toy violins, toy cellos, etc.

Most people on this site play way better than me. But a lot of them appear to be tone deaf to the sound of their instrument. Like I always said.....we get used to the sound we hear.

Understand I am on the same side as the rest of you. I LOVE the ukulele. It is my instrument of choice, but how do you expect others to take us seriously if we promote souvenirs?

again not everyone has the funds for high end ukes.
a 150 dollar uke is expensive to me at the moment
but some people can't afford more than a makala
dolphin I don't think that it shouldn't be taken
seriously because they make cheap instruments
eventually a good player will save up and get
something better but the instrument shouldn't
be looked at poorly cos cheap ones exist
I've seen tons of toy piece of crap guitars
and even souvenir guitars no one seems to mind hmmm

I took up the guitar 37 years ago to get laid.

I took up the ukulele 2 years ago because I love the sound and versatility of the instrument...and also because it's a handy thing to have around to practice on while I'm waiting to get laid.

I took up the ukulele 2 years ago because I love the sound and versatility of the instrument.

I agree started on guitar thought it was cool
but liked the sound of uke better and
because of that became a better player
on the uke due to my stronger interest
in the instrument over guitar.

I played tons of crappy guitars no one seemed
to mind there. I don't really get this mind set
against affordable or cheap ukes it almost
seems as a status symbol to people
rather than about the music which upsets me.

I took up the ukulele 2 years ago because I love the sound and versatility of the instrument...and also because it's a handy thing to have around to practice on while I'm waiting to get laid.

Interesting, I, too, took up the guitar 37 years ago. I did it because I felt like if I didn't play rock music, I was going to explode. Music was all that mattered to me. I idolized Pete Townshend and wanted to play like him (except for the smashing bit).

My first guitar cost $40 and it became a permanent part of me. I never went anywhere without it. Watching tv, doing my homework, out with friends, I always had my guitar. I didn't feel complete without it. I felt that compelled to play music.

I don't think my guitar ever helped me get laid. It's a good thing that wasn't one of my goals. :)

At the age of 50, music has become a lifelong passion. I've added banjo, mandolin, bass, and ukulele to my repertoire. I've played with friends, gigged with bands, joined community jams, attended festivals. Music is one of the best parts of my life. And yes, I've accumulated a nice stable of quality instruments.

But without that $40 guitar, none of this would have happened. It helped drive a lifelong passion.

Good thing there was no internet back then to tell me what a piece of junk it was. I might have never started.

Interesting, I, too, took up the guitar 37 years ago. I did it because I felt like if I didn't play rock music, I was going to explode. Music was all that mattered to me. I idolized Pete Townshend and wanted to play like him (except for the smashing bit).

My first guitar cost $40 and it became a permanent part of me. I never went anywhere without it. Watching tv, doing my homework, out with friends, I always had my guitar. I didn't feel complete without it. I felt that compelled to play music.

I don't think my guitar ever helped me get laid. It's a good thing that wasn't one of my goals. :)

At the age of 50, music has become a lifelong passion. I've added banjo, mandolin, bass, and ukulele to my repertoire. I've played with friends, gigged with bands, joined community jams, attended festivals. Music is one of the best parts of my life. And yes, I've accumulated a nice stable of quality instruments.

But without that $40 guitar, none of this would have happened. It helped drive a lifelong passion.

Good thing there was no internet back then to tell me what a piece of junk it was. I might have never started.

excellent point !

I agree started on guitar thought it was cool
but liked the sound of uke better and
because of that became a better player
on the uke due to my stronger interest
in the instrument over guitar.

I played tons of crappy guitars no one seemed
to mind there. I don't really get this mind set
against affordable or cheap ukes it almost
seems as a status symbol to people
rather than about the music which upsets me.

Just out of interest, is your screen tall and thin?

And what do you say to them?

I don't say anything. It's more fun to just smile and laugh about them in my head. It's more enjoyable when they DON'T know how ridiculous they are. Plus you usually can't change those peoples minds, not worth it. Spend your energy on someone else who is likely to actually be interested in the ukulele.

Excellent post, because I'm 64 years old and that is exactly how I feel about my ukulele.

This is Mark Stewart, Paul Simon's guitarist and music director - and an all around nice guy. I will allow him to dispel the "serious musician" myth.

See? Musical snobbery is not just the domain of guitar players. Hilarious, ironic post to prove the point. Well done!

LOL, so now wanting to play/hear a musical instrument vs a souvenir is snobbery :)

The answer why the ukulele is not considered a real instrument is because so many of them aren't. Ironic :)

Victor makes some of the same points as Mark in this one.

...and he specifically states that his first instrument was a plastic Mickey Mouse guitar.

By the way, I am usually averse to TED talks. These just happen to be what I found on YouTube.

again not everyone has the funds for high end ukes.
a 150 dollar uke is expensive to me at the moment.....
I was very clear that I was not talking about high-end ukuleles. So please don't put words in my mouth...thanks :)

I was also clear that it was not about the talent of the player, and I was also clear I was going to pi$$ everyone off.

The bottom line is there is a very good reason why people think ukuleles are toys!! There are thousands of toy ukes made each month!
As long as there is a demand for them they will continue to make these low-quality novelties.

37 years...man that's a long wait... LOL

I still enjoy my first uke and all my ukes...you know, I used to blame I had a cheap uke when I first started too...that may be right for I did not
know how to tune it properly....but now many years later, I can have fun on any uke....does not matter of it's cost or looks....
now all you that blame the uke for your insufficent ability to play should be ashamed of yourself...if it can be tuned it can be played and enjoyed too..just sayin"
As for the snobs, I say relax and just enjoy the journey whatever instrument it may be....so nice to meet people with the same passions, intrests, as I do.....happy strummings

Last edited:
Top Bottom