Humoresque - Roy Smeck - Johnny Foodstamp

johnnyfoodstamp

Reaction score
Here is my own arrangement of Roy Smeck's arranagement of Antonin Dvorak's "Humoresque in No 7 in G Major. A really fun piece for ukulele. I put the chords in the youtube description. :) Just tune up to A D F# B to play along!

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention that I just put some Aquila TRUE GUT strings on the ole Gibson. It sounds so good I almost put myself to sleep playing it last night! :)

Last edited:
My cat wants a word with you...about those strings ....just to make sure no relatives were involved you understand.

classic ..just classic ...spot on .....

chris

What I like most about your Videos is that you look like you're having a ton of fun. Roy SMeck does the same thing. It's a winner.

My cat wants a word with you...about those strings ....just to make sure no relatives were involved you understand.

classic ..just classic ...spot on .....

chris

lol Thanks! I can assure you unless your cat is a distant relative of a cow from Italy then we should be good! :)

What I like most about your Videos is that you look like you're having a ton of fun. Roy SMeck does the same thing. It's a winner.

I'm glad you mentioned it! :) These tunes just make me happy to play. I'm sure it was the same for Roy. After all that practice you can't help but smirk a little when you finally pull off a sweet spin or something that you've been working on for a long time. That's where the smiles come from with me. I literally can't believe I'm finally playing these Smeck songs. It makes me ecstatic everytime! :)

I'm curious how the feel of the real gut strings compares to the nylon/nylgut of today. Are they slicker or rougher? Is it easier or harder to do the rolls and triples, etc? Thoughts?

I'm curious how the feel of the real gut strings compares to the nylon/nylgut of today. Are they slicker or rougher? Is it easier or harder to do the rolls and triples, etc? Thoughts?

Well, I feel like they are much faster to fret. I slide over them quickly and actually it took a bit to get used to. I think they make each string sound very distinct with their own volume and it makes the triples and rolls sound crisper but still warm. There is no brashness really to them. Just a nice chunky high end.

edit: I do feel like the nylgut may be more suited for my playstyle though as I already see some little strands fraying on the B string. But I think that is normal. We shall see. On the website some dude said his lasted for something insane like 4 year. I got them on special for $20 US so that's like buying 3 regular sets so they better last awhile. But that tone.... Ugggg! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom