Religious Symbolism in KoAlohas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! So those are two Ks are they? I can see that, now.

This is on their T-shirt, which shows that they are Christians. It's sorta like In-N-Out Burgers in California, which puts a Bible verse on the bottoms of the cups.

Koaloha Tshirt.jpg

I don't really want any religious symbols on my musical instruments unless I choose to put them there myself. Which I don't. But I believe in tolerance for all religions and beliefs.

I don't really want any religious symbols on my musical instruments unless I choose to put them there myself. Which I don't. But I believe in tolerance for all religions and beliefs.

Seconding all of that. And I think it's great that we are able to have a civilized discussion about this, and enlighten others who may not be aware of the symbols, so that each person can make an informed buying decision.

I'm now hungry with you. I can envision strumming a KoAloha on a ridge overlooking the Pacific Ocean, eating musubi, Twinkies, and drinking malt liquor, while you take artistic photos with your iPhone.

Yeeeeeeah. Sounds like good times! Pass the Twinkies, please.

Ha, I always thought the logo was just a cool and clever design using the K from the name to make a little ukulele inside...

The Christian symbolism is fine but not a plus for me.

Even though I was brought up an orthodox Jew and I'm a high priest by lineage, I'm not religious at all (atheist works for me). That being said, I'm a graphic designer and I find the logo and headstock to be excellent from a design point of view, they are beautiful ukes. Most members of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble I play with have one, which to me says a lot about the product, they're all advanced players (I'm still trying to catch up.)

I find the "high priest by lineage" kind of cool. I agree the headstock is beautiful.

I'm looking at my KoAloha longneck soprano which has only five points at the bottom of the fretboard. Any symbolism in that?

If there was a cross or Jesus fish somewhere on the uke, being an atheist I would have had second thoughts about buying it, though. That "in your face" religiosity is a turn off for me.

I had a great time at the KoAloha factory. Everyone was so nice and we met Mr. Okami who handed out another of his inventions: a tube squeezer!

I'm looking at my KoAloha longneck soprano which has only five points at the bottom of the fretboard. Any symbolism in that?

There is if you're a follower of the goddess of chaos, Eris... the Principia Discordia sets out the immutable and worldwide Law of Fives...

Seriously though, I am an atheist too, but still would love a KoAloha... in fact I think I want one more now, as I love it when seemingly 'aesthetic' choices have some sort of deeper meaning to the maker. And even though I'm not a believer, I've still got to give credit to the huge amount of cultural elements, symbols, phrases and traditions all religions have given us. So long as we can all get on and not force our relative beliefs on others I'm fine and happy...

Now I'm hungry and really want a KoAloha... this thread has strange effects...

This has been a really interesting thread.

I'm not religious though perhaps spiritual now and then.

I like how the Koaloha's are designed and I don't mind the symbolism due to its subtlety.

I sorta got "the king" reference, but I always thought it had to do with Elvis.
Oh well :cool:

I'm surprised at how many respondents to this thread are non-religious.

I'd imagine that Amish Underground would have a different slant: they'd be more religious and their favorite ukulele would be shop-made Oak plank wood with brass tuners and a tiny heart-shaped cutout on the headstock.

I have an Amish-made napkin holder like that.

Like a few here I don't participate in an organised Christian church but fair to say though that I try to live by something like a "Christian" set of values.

Having just taken delivery of my first KoAloha, for me this wonderful instrument feels a bit more special because the Okamis have put this little bit more of themselves into it.

I'm surprised at how many respondents to this thread are non-religious.
OK, I'll take that bait. I am a devout Christian. Part of that belief is that you should strive for excellence in all you set out to do (I can quote Scripture to back that up but probably crossing the line for this discussion), so it does make me glad when I hear that leaders in their field are Christians, whether that be athletes, politicians, or uke makers. Would this knowledge make me more likely to buy a KoAloha now? Hmm, maybe. I like to support fellow believers with my business when I can but that isn't the only factor. Cost, quality, and availability factor way more heavily into purchase decisions than any aspect of faith or lack thereof by the seller.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom