Religious Symbolism in KoAlohas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another KoAloha fan here who isn't religious. They build amazing instruments, and they're some of the nicest, most sincere people in the business. If belief in a higher power keeps them inspired to make people happy then I sure can't fault them! They aren't jerks about it so it's all good! Besides, their design aesthetic is pretty metal and I dig it.

I'm not a great fan of the entire design on an aesthetic basis, nor am I a fan of religion in general, but I appreciate the subtlety of their symbolism. It's creative. I do like the ukulele enclosed in the K's. I just don't like the headstock points or the soundhole look. But it is very cool that there are so many choices out there in Uke design.

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of KoAloha's headstock design, and it has nothing to do with the (very subtle) symbolism. It just looks like a webbed foot to me. The rest doesn't bug me, including the musubi soundhole. I don't plan on ever buying one, but the appearance of a KoAloha isn't the reason. I'm just more into other brands.

Agreed. We don't even have to go that far, what about ANY disguised religious symbols. Jewish, Hindu, Islamic, etc. It really doesn't matter what the religion is. I respect all beliefs, but I don't appreciate hidden religious symbolism of any kind be it Christian or non-Christian. No different to me than the knocking on my door to "spread the word."

The KoAlohas i played sounded good. Would I buy one knowing the Religious significance? NO.

You may find that many, many, MANY items you currently possess have religious symbolism of some kind printed on them or incorporated into their design. Religion is a massive part of human history, it's the oldest form of government. I might not be religious, but I understand the importance it has for our society, and how certain people absolutely need it and rely on it.

Also, I don't think it's the same as someone coming to your door. KoAloha isn't trying to recruit you, they aren't coming to your door and forcing an ukulele on you, saying that you must believe. It's just their design. You cannot compare that to your example.

I have to be honest, I find it rather petty that someone would choose to NOT buy a quality product from a company with quality customer service, based solely on the fact that the headstock design, and company logo has some religious significance to the creators. It doesn't hurt you in any way, and it's not like a giant christian cross pressed into the fretboard. It is very subtle, and most didn't even know until they were told about it.

Without trying to be directly confrontational, it sounds more like you tolerate all beliefs, not that you respect all beliefs. There is a big difference. I would say that I try to respect all beliefs, but I absolutely tolerate all of them...

Some might even say this is a religious symbol. A silly example, but the point I am making is that you can find symbolism, for anything, anywhere, if you choose to look for it:
IA6sPNF.jpg

Okay, I had my KoAloha with me today as my daughter and I went site-seeing. Thinking about this thread, I couldn't resist. Sorry.image.jpg

And then I got a cool idea. They sell gold leaf there for people to put on the Buddha. I bought some with the idea of trimming the headstock with it for a shiny (real) gold crown!

So, somebody points out that the makers of Koaloha are christians, and choose to hide some symbolism in the design of their uke. Christians are happy as bunnies (possibly of the 6 foot tall invisible variety), some of us dirty non-believers express a complete lack of interest, and others (ok, so one other) question how happy the aforementioned christians would be if it were a hidden pagan message, rather than christian (I notice the only people who took the trouble to answer THAT one were atheists/agnostics...come on all you "people of faith", I'd really like to hear how YOU feel about that).

The moderator decides, in the usual high-handed fashion, that the only appropriate response is "my word, how interesting", and thereby kills one of the few threads that doesn't consist almost entirely of people getting teary eyed over the latest acquisition by another member.

How, exactly, did you expect a thread of this kind to develop on a forum inhabited by people of various faiths, lack of faith, and varying degrees of tolerance to hypocrisy?

I'll take my week off now please.

Before I go, I'd just like to mention something I spoke to a moderator about earlier, in regard to this whole thread.

There is a brand of string, marketed with a clear christian theme, by a "good christian".

Rather than confront the person directly, I have chosen to assume that, as a good christian, this person tithes.

I have therefore decided, despite the excellent reviews of these strings, to refrain from buying them, as I am opposed to 10% of the profit from my purchase going to an organisation I fundamentally oppose.

There, that's pretty on-topic, wouldn't you say?

Two points (from someone with a degree in religious anthropology):

(1) Brian W. is correct about the accepted meanings of agnostic vs. atheist. Agnostic is "without knowledge" one way or the other while "atheist" is anti-theist, meaning opposed to belief in a god or gods. Agnostic beliefs tend to be open to evolution when presented with new information. Atheism, like the great majority of world religions, is dogmatic -- that it, it has rules based in faith rather than evidence. (Which, I think, lines up with your point Dane.) Not a slight intended at anyone or either, but those are the definitions. (I'm not quite sure which one of the two I am. Probably the former.)

(2) I love my Koaloha. I appreciate the abstract symbols included by a group of very talented builders. However, if there were a crucifix on the headstock, or something else as in-your-face, I wouldn't own this uke no matter how good it sounded (well, within reason).

Before I go, I'd just like to mention something I spoke to a moderator about earlier, in regard to this whole thread.

There is a brand of string, marketed with a clear christian theme, by a "good christian".

Rather than confront the person directly, I have chosen to assume that, as a good christian, this person tithes.

I have therefore decided, despite the excellent reviews of these strings, to refrain from buying them, as I am opposed to 10% of the profit from my purchase going to an organisation I fundamentally oppose.

There, that's pretty on-topic, wouldn't you say?

But - and I'm speaking also as an atheist - is that 10% directly from your sale, or 10% of his earnings that he decides to do what he wants with (which is his choice)... and doesn't nearly everything we buy end up channeling money to something we'd probably disagree with on a personal level?
Personally I like that they stick things that mean things to them on the ukuleles they make. Whether others of the same beliefs would tolerate a uke I'd make with the symbols I'd like is debatable, but that'd be their choice...

You should try 'those' strings, though, they're really good... tolerance is a two-way street and all ;)

Remember the uproar from the religious right about the backmasking in Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest tracks?

That was all because of a "hidden message" that opposed the beliefs of a particular group.

#justsayin

Yeah, I know - there's a gallery I won't go to anymore because I found out they've got all the low-paid staff on zero hours contracts. We all have our personal limits.

But those strings are really good...

I just find the concept of religious symbolism like that odd. Not that I care anyway, it's not like I have enough money to buy one.

I'd totally buy a hammer shaped uke dedicated to Thor, which would also be pretty odd, when you think about it.

Interesting. I haven't tried those strings, but didn't know that about them. Thanks for filling me in!

As a freethinker, I do tend to "vote with my dollar" when it makes sense (i.e. I've never eaten at an In-and-Out, but then I don't eat burgers, so why would I?) or when there is concrete evidence that a company's profits go toward a cause I am opposed to (i.e. Richard Hayne's well-documented campaign contributions to a presidential candidate I loathed will keep me from ever spending a dime at Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie, but then I'm not much of a shopper).

As for the strings, or the ukulele in question - it is a two way street, and knowing this information allows one to make a better-informed purchasing decision, regardless of the side of the street that they are on.

Interesting. I haven't tried those strings, but didn't know that about them. Thanks for filling me in!

A word of caution: the "tithing" is just supposition on my part, and not to be treated as fact. I'm merely trying to show a bit more class than usual for me, and not contact the person directly to ask for confirmation, which might be considered a bit rude. If this person does indeed tithe, this is a fundamental part of his faith, and he does so with my blessing (irony?)

Personally I like that they stick things that mean things to them on the ukuleles they make. Whether others of the same beliefs would tolerate a uke I'd make with the symbols I'd like is debatable, but that'd be their choice...
And that is my problem with it. "Hidden" religious symbolism takes away my choice.

I always talk about the brands that refuse to put ("made in ____") in their soundhole labels. It is deception. It takes away my choice. If I want to buy something made in Vietnam that should be my decision.

If KoAloha had an obvious crucifix or cross on the headstock I would not have a problem with it. I also wouldn't have even picked it up to hear it. MY CHOICE.

Ok, two participants in this thread are now on a brief break.

Certain topics tend to degenerate into uncivil arguments; religion is one of them. In the rules we ask that people not start threads that might seem calculated to cause trouble. The OP seemed to recognise the possible direction that the thread might take and specifically tried to set parameters for the topic. Furthermore, this is the Uke Talk section.

From the rules: "2.1 Stay on topic."

General religious discussion tends to end untidily, even when conducted in the General Discussion section, which is why even that section has the rule: "NO POSTING OF DISCUSSION TOPICS THAT ARE OBVIOUSLY HEADED FOR DESTRUCTION."

I apologise to the OP for not being able to keep this thread on track, and closing it down.

If anyone wishes to take issue with any of my decisions here, Admin and the mod team will be happy to consider your submissions and overrule if appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom