NUD...KoAloha tenor

armchair_spaceman

Reaction score
New KoAloha Tenor arrived today - happy as a pup with two tails!

I jagged one of the "factory specials" that appeared at TUS a couple of weeks ago...I was watching and waiting for tenors to come back into stock, when the specials came on I just had to have one. I have to say those Okami folk must be very, very fussy - my uke allegedly has some flaw in the finish somewhere on the back but the thing looks pretty well mint to me.

Tone and projection and dynamics are everything I had hoped for, setup from TUS is spot-on for my hands and it plays beautifully all the way up the neck (so eeeeezy to play). And I really like the grain pattern in the Koa - that's a bonus. If it's this good straight out of the box...how good is it going to be when it settles in a bit? I think I might prefer it in standard tuning over the stock Low-G, maybe the D'Addario T2s I have in the strings box, in due course. That's not a gripe BYW, I ordered it stock...would have tried Low-G on it anyway at some stage if it didn't come that way.

Thanks to KoAloha, thanks to Joel and the crew at TUS, I couldn't be happier.

And only four days for it get from Hawaii to my door in suburban Melbourne (Australia)..I wasn't really expecting it for another week :)

Last edited:
I am assuming TUS and HMS are the same place, great place to deal with. I got my KoAloha Opio from them and I was extremely pleased and impressed with their great service.

You have just got one of my future purchases so I am more than a little jealous :eek:. I do love the signature sound of KoAlohas, just ring out and sustain forever.

Congratulations and enjoy the new instrument, throw up some pictures if you can.

I've got one, and it is the only uke I have that still haS THE stock strings. It sounds so good with them that I'll only change them when it really needs it. those fluro strings seem to last forever. I like the t-2's, but I think the Koalohas sound best with fluorocarbon . My concert has Oasis, and it sounds so sweet. and congratulations.

I have a concert and it really is quite amazing. Eveything about my KoAloha is top of the line (fit, finsh, playability, and intonation). I have a cheap travel uke and had it on a trip, when I came home I went to my KoAloha and the other uke has not seen the light of day. I will probably give it to one of my daughters so it gets played some.

You will love your KoAloha - congratulations!

Congratulations! You bought a great instrument.

Congrats! I love my KoAloha concert - thought I'd never by another because they're so distinctive looking - but now I have a soprano on the way and can't wait!

Congratulations! I too love my KoAloha Concert, and look forward to obtaining a Tenor model someday.

The unique jangle of the KoAloha is addicting! Enjoy!

Congrats Armchair.... I saw that one and was thinking I should buy it....... but waited too long. Good for you. I have read that KoAloha factory 2nd are the real deal. Thanks for confirming.

Congratulations....a friend of mine sold all her guitars and ukes, and the only one she kept was her KoAloha....that says a lot....it's a tenor, and it really sings!

Congrats Armchair.... I saw that one and was thinking I should buy it....... but waited too long. Good for you. I have read that KoAloha factory 2nd are the real deal. Thanks for confirming.

M3 we must have been on the wires at the same time :)

To cut a long story short, I was in Vietnam on business that week, suffering a very dodgy internet connection. I missed one on HMS with a nicked headstock a couple of days earlier because the connection failed halfway through the PayPal transaction - by the time I got back on the uke was gone (grrrr). I was bored in my hotel a bit later in the week, looked in on HMS/TUS again and there were the specials...no hesitation, straight on it...you do have to be quick when they come up and they are definitely worth it.

(Nickie I sold two other decent Ukes I was indifferent to to fund this wonderful KoAloha...happy I did it)

Last edited:
Yep, you gotta act fast when a KoAloha factory special comes up. Heck all the standard priced Tenors go so fast. My boys had a similar internet experience when trying to get tickets to one of their gaming conventions. <g>

Next visit to Hawaii, I'm coming home with a KoAloha Tenor. MY loss your gain but I did put an order in for a custom tenor ........ to keep the UAS at bay! <g>
Enjoy.

I saw that one up for sale and gave it some serious thought. Then I realized it was high gloss, which I won't be purchasing anymore..... It could be nice, but I really like KoAloha satin finish

oh and also that I didn't have the money to buy it... that was the other thought.....

Oh no, I hope that's not true!

cat_Sand-Paper-Roll.jpg

I saw that one up for sale and gave it some serious thought. Then I realized it was high gloss, which I won't be purchasing anymore..... It could be nice, but I really like KoAloha satin finish

Yeah I've always leaned towards satin..some trepidation about the gloss but now that it's up close and personal, the gloss works for me on this one. Feels nice and really makes the grain pattern in the Koa pop.

oh and also that I didn't have the money to buy it... that was the other thought.....

yep. been there.

Last edited:
You should see how delicately I apply straps to my nicest instruments, it's quite silly really.... going near them with sandpaper, not going to happen. Maybe on one of my cheaper instruments.

Buy a Koaloha Tenor from HMS, and either ask Andrew if he can send it back to the factory, or to Ko'olau to have the gloss taken off. Alternatively, have it sent to Beau Hannam for one of his lovely hand rubbed oil finishes.

I realise when talking about Beau, phrases such as "hand rubbed oil finish" need to be used with caution, but he assures me he left all that behind when he left the big open-prison called Australia.

Top Bottom