Curly 4th finger...any suggestions?

armchair_spaceman

Reaction score
Here's the thing...4th finger on my left hand curls quite markedly inward, making reaching up the neck with it even one fret quite difficult (4th finger on right hand is relatively normal). This, I feel, is limiting my progress as I try to get into some more ambitious (ie stretchy) scales and riffs.

Hope that makes sense, anyone have any suggestions for stretches or exercises to help it straighten up a bit and get some more reach? (short of switching to lefty ;) )

Last edited:
Curious. Could reducing the size of your instrument help? Example: tenor to concert? Concert to soprano? Soprano to sopranino? Just a mechanical solution to a physical problem. I wish I could picture the curve in your finger to better understand how to potentially fret. Do you mean curls inward toward the palm, or curls inward as in tiward the ring finger? Thanks.

You don't mention limited mobility. If you're able to move the finger(s) in a "normal" fashion, your unique finger may simply have the same developmental needs as the rest, as mine and everyone else's. First thing to do (I think) is practice. Second is practice. Third step, you guessed it....
I've seen and tried finger stretches and strengthening exercises, but only one thing is better practice. That's SLOW practice.

Curious. Could reducing the size of your instrument help? Example: tenor to concert? Concert to soprano? Soprano to sopranino? Just a mechanical solution to a physical problem. I wish I could picture the curve in your finger to better understand how to potentially fret. Do you mean curls inward toward the palm, or curls inward as in tiward the ring finger? Thanks.

Thanks CK, I have a tenor and a concert, things are easier on the concert (but not by a lot).

As to the curl...could be best described as 4th finger, when it's fully flexed, points across the palm towards a spot about halfway up the thumb pad. By contrast, 4th on my right hand points down to about the mid point of my wrist.

Edit: Steve, on mobility, the joint at the base of that finger is a bit "clunky" but seems to otherwise work. My other fingers aren't that way.

Last edited:
I've always had a similar problem - I tend to want to curl my left pinky up when it's not in active use, moving it out of a comfortable playing position and making it harder to use when I need it. I broke the finger as a kid and it didn't heal quite right - has a little crook in it and is a little weaker.

I started trying to explain this exercise and quickly realized it would be easier to make a quick video. I did this for 2-3 minutes every day for several months and it made a big difference.... I still do it from time to time as a warm up.

An extension of this exercise that I still do everyday is here. This has probably helped the technical side of my playing more than anything else I've done....not pinky-specific, it's a general finger independence drill that works both hands.

Hope this helps - good luck

As to the curl...could be best described as 4th finger, when it's fully flexed, points across the palm towards a spot about halfway up the thumb pad. By contrast, 4th on my right hand points down to about the mid point of my wrist.

I have the same curl! A couple things that have helped me have been using one of those squeezy hand-strengthener devices that climbers use (similar to this), and doing exercises on the fretboard where I barre a fret with my index finger and then use the 4th finger to play notes around it.

I think I have the same curl, too! Maybe we're all related, like the six-toed cats at Hemingway's place on Key West.

Other than having mine broken and reset, I don't think I'll ever be able to play wide spacings like Corey.

Well, at least from this thread I know why: a physical limitation. I used to think it was just because I suck.

I started trying to explain this exercise and quickly realized it would be easier to make a quick video.

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to do this :cool:

I spent a few minutes at it this morning, up to 12th and back. It's harder than it looks and I can feel it working all through my hand, not just the pinky.

Then picked my son's guitar and had a go, just for the experiment...ooooh...walk before run, I think :D

Thanks again for this, I'll give it a good go and have a crack at your other list in due course. I usually don't mind doing tedious drills, they can be sort of meditative. I'm no expert but I suspect my pinky issue is muscular rather than structural and this retraining will help.

Man this forum is good.

Last edited:
How about squeezing a tennis ball or one like it? Also, I bought a handfull of a claylike substance that one can squeeze and manipulate. I got it at a weight lifting store. Even if it doesn't help, it's fun to play with.

Top Bottom