For the uke purists..... The Bongolele, by Ohana!!!!!

Well, I see where it only costs $65, and there's gonna be another one for $45. Pretty cheap, so every one will be able to afford one. Some with a cheap one, and some with a better, nicer looking, more expensive one.
Has anyone ever seen someone in a group tapping the beat on his Uke? I have and more than once.

thats what im saying you coud turn off a baritone uke an tap on it and get a nice resonate sound ive seen it done
and sounds good than you can flip it over and play something than flip it back and tap on it and do fancy tricks
i dont know...

Does anybody know if it has an internal baffle - basically making a dual wooden bongo with different tones depending on which bout you tap?

My Meinl bongo sounds great but doesn't look as nice. LOL

John

its not a uke it has no neck and its a percussive instrument not a stringed one.
I think its silly and fun, its a cool idea it just does not appeal to me.

Gee, why don't you just tell us how you really feel about it?

What the hell, I like it! I think it's cute.....

Does anybody know if it has an internal baffle - basically making a dual wooden bongo with different tones depending on which bout you tap?-John

It has a separator and depending on where and how you tap it, you get a variety of sounds. I really like it and I'm sorry I didn't buy the rosewood one.

It has a separator and depending on where and how you tap it, you get a variety of sounds. I really like it and I'm sorry I didn't buy the rosewood one.

That's it, I'm sold... where can I get one? Are they only available in the US?

Great, now I have BAS, thanks guys...

I was at the U-Space/Japanese Cultural Center Expo in downtown Los Angeles today and Brad of U-Space/Anacapa showed and played it. Sounds like a mixture of a bongo and small African drum, really nice. I played it at the Ohana booth, very nice. They were selling the solid rosewood body there for $65 and bringing out a laminate mahogany for $45. (By the way, we did not break the record of 2,134 simultaneous uke players, we had just over 1,000. I think it was due to short and limited PR campaign, next year should be much better.)

Cool. I would like to have a cajone, but this shape would allow you to hold the drum between your knees and play, instead of hunching over the instrument as you sit on it (cajone). Now, that would be great, as long as holding it doesn't cause leg strain... Did you just hold it and play?

If anyone has a link where to purchase, please share it... They look cool and I really like the "toting it around in a uke case" idea. I have a spare bag sitting around at the moment, it needs something in it. A bongolele would be perfect.

I agree that different sounds and different timbres adds a lot to a group. It takes a village...

I was just holding it my hand. I just talked to Ohana and they said they're getting another run together now and will call me with an estimate of when they will be done. She also said that U-Space will be the first to receive any because they were created together with Daniel Ho and Brad Ranola.

Hey All,

Ohana Ukuleles here with some more info on the bongolele!

Brad Ranola (owner of Anacapa Ukulele and U-Space) demos the instrument here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijgvv93REg

You can also hear more from the Bongolele from renowned percussionist Luis Conti, who used the instrument to play on Grammy-nominated album "Our World in Song": http://danielho.com/albums/Our_World_In_Song.html

Ohana is working on more web content regarding the bongolele, so you all can better come to know the instrument.

Happy playing!

If I could only play like Brad!

sorry, Ohana, I wanted one real bad, but I demo'ed one and the sound is pretty dead.

I saw it last year. We thought about getting one, but changed our minds because of the price, and well, we already have drums that are perfect for our jam sessions. Now I want a cowbell and a train whistle....

I'm opting for a homemade stompbox made out of one of my old car tags and some scrap wood, and getting a pickup to plug it in.

Let's not forget that the ukulele is primarily a percussive instrument. But without strings and a fretboard it's just a drum. Not that thee's anything wrong with that. ;)
Also useful for swatting flies, stirring mash, and beating dust from hanging fabrics. It's even more useful when dismantled: the body can be an ashtray or planter, the neck can be a club or fire poker, etc.

Top Bottom