For the uke purists..... The Bongolele, by Ohana!!!!!

That is totally cool! Gotta have one...

But was it able to be used in the world record ukulele ensemble attempt discussed in the same post? Sure it looks like a drum and has bongo in the name, but can you have a drum that is shaped like a figure 8. Whats next a trumpet shaped like a pineapple ukulele?
Did they break the record?

I don't think it should count I
think tapping on an actual uke
would count but it's not am actual
uke if it's not a a stringed instrument

Why do you think it's silly? Have you played one? Looks to me like a uke-shaped bongo cajon, like the ones made by Latin Percussion and Meinl, both of which sound pretty nice.

f43596423-ac-0176xf9x0500x0327-s.jpg

nope it's just a silly novelty drum

Why do you think it's silly? Have you played one? Looks to me like a uke-shaped bongo cajon, like the ones made by Latin Percussion and Meinl, both of which sound pretty nice.

View attachment 68345

I think instruments shaped like
other instruments is silly. silly isn't
a bad thing it's just silly. not my thing
but may be for some.

I was at the U-Space/Japanese Cultural Center Expo in downtown Los Angeles today and Brad of U-Space/Anacapa showed and played it. Sounds like a mixture of a bongo and small African drum, really nice. I played it at the Ohana booth, very nice. They were selling the solid rosewood body there for $65 and bringing out a laminate mahogany for $45. (By the way, we did not break the record of 2,134 simultaneous uke players, we had just over 1,000. I think it was due to short and limited PR campaign, next year should be much better.)

I bought one at the Expo. Just something fun and different and it does seem to provide a lot of different sounds depending on how you strike it. And I'm no percussionist by any means but I think it sounds pretty good. I got the solid Rosewood with Spruce top model for $65.

Just a uke body. Ohana's answer to Kala's Kalimba? At least Ohana didn't leave the heel and neck "stub."

I think it looks cool. I find the uke purist thing to be silly; one of my biggest frustration with uke groups is how some of them are so rigid. The UBass was a brilliant idea, and since groups are willing to allow the UBass, it improves the sound and the experience immensely. If a drum shaped like a uke will lead to some kind of drum being allowed, that's great.

I like it and I want one. And a uke shaped harmonica. And a uke shaped hat. And a uke shaped shoes. And a uke shaped boat. And a uke shaped house... and...

Seriously though, I do want one. And a...

I think it is a cool percussion instrument and is easily carried in a ukulele bag/case.
Using my double bag I can carry a drum and uke.

Just a uke body. Ohana's answer to Kala's Kalimba? At least Ohana didn't leave the heel and neck "stub."

i'd rather just get a cajon if i was going to get this sort of thing it def doesn't appeal to me instruments shaped like other instruments
just doesn't appeal to me. I guess its another way for them to cash in from percussionists and people who like novelties just like the sopranino
and pocket ukes (which do appeal to me).

I don't see why it's silly, and it's almost a Uke. Is a banjo a Uke? Is a 5 string a Uke?--a 6 string?--an 8 string? Anyway, does it play like Bongos? Or does it make a lot of different sounds? I'm interested.

I don't see why it's silly, and it's almost a Uke. Is a banjo a Uke? Is a 5 string a Uke?--a 6 string?--an 8 string? Anyway, does it play like Bongos? Or does it make a lot of different sounds? I'm interested.

its not a uke it has no neck and its a percussive instrument not a stringed one.
I think its silly and fun, its a cool idea it just does not appeal to me.

I hear that Yamaha is coming out with a ukuba -- a ukulele shaped liked a tuba.

Well, I see where it only costs $65, and there's gonna be another one for $45. Pretty cheap, so every one will be able to afford one. Some with a cheap one, and some with a better, nicer looking, more expensive one.
Has anyone ever seen someone in a group tapping the beat on his Uke? I have and more than once.

Top Bottom