Which is better?

Ukejenny

Reaction score
Taking a ukulele and changing the nut, saddle, tuners, electronics.....

Or... taking that money and putting it toward a ukulele that already has all the appointments you want?

Or... taking that money and putting it toward a ukulele that already has all the appointments you want?

The second option, as long as the appointments are quality stuff. The maker can factory-install at a much better cost point and a good maker knows where/how the fit is best on that instrument.

Regarding the first option, there's always a risk that the modification will mess something else up, unless the person doing the work really is skilled and experienced.

You already know you like the one you have. I say upgrade! :)

Option 1 only when you can't otherwise find the uke you want with all the options you want. Sometimes you just want those options and love the uke you already have. Also, sometimes the maker installs components that aren't the type/quality you want such as pickups = active vs passive, generic vs top quality ones, etc. When you upgrade an existing uke though, you must make sure your investment in upgrades is worth the money, time, and effort. Many of us can't resist trying to make a silk purse..........etc. Good luck, research, ask questions. In the end, it is your uke, your time, your money, etc. and you are the one that must be happy. If you aren't, don't worry, UAS will take care of it for you.

I've replaced the nuts, saddles, strings and added or replaced preamps/tuners, pickups in most of my lower mid-level ukes because I have the wherewithal to do so, I didn't like what was there and it's fun. I'm very happy with the results. I'm about to receive two custom ukes and I'm going to add preamp/tuner pickups myself that I already have. I had the builder route out the bridge to fit the pickup.

probably wouldnt want to invest this time and effort for a $100 uke.

Well that's pretty vague so I'd say the best answer is "depends".

Depends to a great extent on whether you can do the work yourself or would be taking it to a shop for the upgrades. If you can do the work yourself, and if you really like how the uke sounds, then option one is good. Just keep in mind that other than the nut and saddle those things aren't going to make any difference in how the uke sounds, and even those may not make the degree or direction of change you are looking for.

Generally, in acoustic instruments I wouldn't put a lot of money and time into one that I didn't absolutely love the sound of already because nothing you can reasonably do is going to make a really big change in the sound.

Also, keep in mind that time is valuable, too. If you are planning on doing the work your self, is the time you will spend tinkering worth the time you will be giving up that you could be playing?

John

How much do you want to change. If it is just one thing, it's probably worth it. Also, how good is the uke? Unless changing everything out is fun for you, then it's better to just get what you want. Usually higher end appointments come with better wood, better build quality, better . . . A lot of the time upgrading is just putting lipstick on a pig.

I do stuff like that for fun. The joke around my house goes like this, "Why would I pay $50 for that when I could make it myself for $100. I remember buying the ingredients to make subs at home, cost me something like $45-60.

But you learn a lot and have the satisfaction of knowing it's something you made yourself.

I do stuff like that for fun. The joke around my house goes like this, "Why would I pay $50 for that when I could make it myself for $100. I remember buying the ingredients to make subs at home, cost me something like $45-60.

But you learn a lot and have the satisfaction of knowing it's something you made yourself.

I agree. Over the years one guitar, and later one mandolin, and now one ukulele have become a "Franken-instrument". Have learned a lot by having "designated victim" instruments, especially in evaluating other new and used instruments (I trade often).

Thanks, gang, for the responses; and Islander53, thanks for taking the trouble to quote and respond even though you don't seem interested in the topic. I can see what y'all mean by doing it for the joy of it. The detailed work would be fun and another form of artistic expression. I'm not much of a piddler/fiddler, so I would not want to do anything like that myself.

There is one cosmetic thing about one of my ukuleles that I would like to change. I would like a slot style bridge instead of a tie-on. I know that is purely superficial, but I think it would look great. I'm just worried that it would hurt the finish on the top or something. Wondering if it is worth it to have it done, or should I just stop thinking about it.

Much info online about removing a loose bridge or gluing one down, but not a lot about removing a perfectly sound one without damaging the soundboard. Sounds like a luthier's forum question. I personally wouldn't mess with a sound bridge.

Thanks, gang, for the responses; and Islander53, thanks for taking the trouble to quote and respond even though you don't seem interested in the topic. I can see what y'all mean by doing it for the joy of it. The detailed work would be fun and another form of artistic expression. I'm not much of a piddler/fiddler, so I would not want to do anything like that myself.

There is one cosmetic thing about one of my ukuleles that I would like to change. I would like a slot style bridge instead of a tie-on. I know that is purely superficial, but I think it would look great. I'm just worried that it would hurt the finish on the top or something. Wondering if it is worth it to have it done, or should I just stop thinking about it.

If it's just the sight of those ties that annoys you there is a relatively easy fix that is actually good for the uke! I've converted both slot and tie-on bridges to string-through-top simply by drilling a small hole for each string. Use like a #60 bit in a pin-vise and pretty much anybody can do this. Changing strings is a bit annoying until you get used to it...but after doing this all the pressure is against the bridge plate on the under side of the top. You are guaranteed not to pull a bridge off even with fairly heavy gage strings and over many years of use! There are those who will claim that you also get better volume and sustain - I tend to agree though I've never done any empirical testing to prove it.

John

if you love that actual uke and are comfortable with i'd just set it up so it works better for you than investing in
something else if it really sounds that bad, just sell it and put the money toward a different uke that suits your
needs better.

These are great replies! Sometimes it's more fun to upgrade things than to replace them. I once had a HarleyDavidson that had nothing original except the frame and rear wheel....

I've converted both slot and tie-on bridges to string-through-top simply by drilling a small hole for each string...after doing this all the pressure is against the bridge plate on the under side of the top. You are guaranteed not to pull a bridge off even with fairly heavy gage strings and over many years of use! There are those who will claim that you also get better volume and sustain - I tend to agree though I've never done any empirical testing to prove it. - John

I was at the First Annual Los Angeles Ukulele Expo at the Japanese Cultural center in downtown last Saturday and a vendor was showing their ukes (I wish I remembered their name), all of which have that kind of bridge/string setup. I never saw that before and I found it to be such a good idea that I'm going to try it out on a uke I'm going to change to Worth brown BT strings. I think it's brilliant.

If it's just the sight of those ties that annoys you there is a relatively easy fix that is actually good for the uke! I've converted both slot and tie-on bridges to string-through-top simply by drilling a small hole for each string. Use like a #60 bit in a pin-vise and pretty much anybody can do this. Changing strings is a bit annoying until you get used to it...but after doing this all the pressure is against the bridge plate on the under side of the top. You are guaranteed not to pull a bridge off even with fairly heavy gage strings and over many years of use! There are those who will claim that you also get better volume and sustain - I tend to agree though I've never done any empirical testing to prove it.

John

Yes, the actual bridge is nice looking, but I just don't want the ties showing. Does that make me a prude? LOL Your string through top fix sounds wonderful - and visually elegant. I need to ask my local tech guy (at the Fret Shop) if he would be willing to do this. Where exactly do you place the hole?

I planning to drill the holes in the flat spot between the saddle and the rise where the string holes are currently, in the exact spot adjacent to the those holes.

Bridge string holes.jpg

These are great replies! Sometimes it's more fun to upgrade things than to replace them. I once had a HarleyDavidson that had nothing original except the frame and rear wheel....

Wow. Now, that is cool. See, I might tinker on something like that, but I'd be afraid of ruining a ukulele.

Top Bottom