Quick thought (affordability, the forum etc.)

Vagrant

Reaction score
I was reading through the forum earlier, and noticed a few threads that seemed to have gone a bit... gnarly.

I registered on here a few weeks ago, after lurking for a couple of months while I learnt on my first ukulele, a Mahalo that cost me less than £30.

One of the things I liked - and I've been on quite a few forums of various types - was how people with 5-grand ukes would give advice to newbies and their 25 buck ukes... how luthiers with decades experience would give advice (for free!) to people with no experience who wanted to make their 25 buck uke sound a little better... how players with decades experience would advise those who don't even know what a chord is... how those who had tried (nearly) all the strings and (nearly) all the different scales and (nearly) all the main brands would help those with limited experiences and budgets navigate forward.
But that also those with cheaper ukes can advise 'upwards' freely and openly, with no snobbishness - or reverse snobbishness - from anyone. But also that, whatever ukes anyone had, making music on them took priority, and would always be the aim of any discussion - to help everyone make the music they want sound like how they want.

All this can be quite rare, most forums I've been on have little tolerance for people below a certain level ("green newbies with cheap junk"), or above a certain level ("cash-flashing show-offs with all the gear and no idea")...

You buy the best equipment you can comfortably afford for any venture, anything less is a waste, anything more is just setting yourself up for a fall. I've just bought a tenor off a fellow member, and it is at the absolute outer limit of my budget. It won't make me a better player, but it will produce more consistent results. As I get better, I may find its consistency is now lower than mine, so I will need one one with greater consistency, and so on.

But I'd like to think that when I'm stuck I would be able to turn here for advice, whether that be for chord patterns, string choices, wood differences, song suggestions, where to play at what time, or just plain old moral support... and that whether I've got a £50 uke or a £5,000 one, all would chip in regardless of what they have and play...

Please let's keep this forum the unique place it is... apologies if this post seems unnecessary or hoaky, it was just random thoughts while I was cooking the kid's dinners...

Yes, some threads can go kablooey. But not very often.

If I had a question, I wouldn't hesitate to ask it here. And, yes, usually one gets lots of answers and varied opinions. That's not necessarily a bad thing, either.

Ukulele Underground is the place to learn/chat about everything ukulele. Have fun.

Sausage casserole (x4), and tuna casserole (x4)... I cook in batches to free up ukulele playing time!

Yes, some threads can go kablooey. But not very often.

If I had a question, I wouldn't hesitate to ask it here. And, yes, usually one gets lots of answers and varied opinions. That's not necessarily a bad thing, either.

Ukulele Underground is the place to learn/chat about everything ukulele. Have fun.

Sometimes the "kablooey" threads are the most fun to read.

I have to admit to the occasional giggle over some snarky thread, but it really is better when we play nice.

Life's too short to put up with depressing people on what's supposed to be "fun" forums... A good debate and difference of opinion is fine. Bad manners is just bad manners.

Now, the next thing is to buy a piece of UU merchandise or otherwise contribute to keep this site running. This place is worth it!

Life's too short to put up with depressing people on what's supposed to be "fun" forums
Yep, I also think that the Ukulele attracts a natural laid-back cool/chill-out type of person and mentality. It's not about douchebaggery and snobbery. It's more about spreading the love (as cheesey as that sounds)!

Everybody started on a Mahalo, right?

There's a time and place for just about every uke. In my mind, I think one Positive Attribute of Ukes is their affordability----you're not afraid to scratch it, like you might be afraid to scratch a piano or a Stradivarius. MUCH to be said for keeping things simple.

Affordability is relative anyway. I have some $30 ukes and some "higher end" ukes but I don't show any of them off in my signature, and I don't generally post NUDs because it's not important to me. I have little left of my prior lifestyle of impulse and excess and I'm always aware now that I am choosing having a few nice ukes instead of a newer car or expensive clothes (thrift store Aloha shirts are just fine thanks). Or that I may need to reduce. I have no vacations, no cable TV, no nice meals out. Been there done that not necessary. Netflix, ukes, the library and riding bikes are my current fun things. I'm still downsizing stuff anyway.

I don't resent anyone having MBs, I know I never will and I won't drive a Mercedes again either and neither is important to me. I'm grateful my current vehicle is still running, I was car-less in L.A. for 3 years and it was awful! I always enjoy when someone is super happy and tickled with whatever uke they just got or enjoy most. I really enjoy the ukes I have, I started with my mom's Martin bari which I borrowed for a bit and then got my own vintage Harmony soprano from the late 20s - 30s as my first uke. I have been through a bunch and enjoyed them all, and I figured out my preferences and then focused on finding what was easiest for me to play. I was looking for a few lifetime ukes and found them and am grateful.

I think the most important thing we can do is keep an attitude of gratitude and enjoyment of our gift of life here on this remarkable planet and make the most of it. Gratitude for others' happiness is a really good exercise in feeling abundant and joyful as well. I believe we really are all one with everyone and everything in this universe, so your joy is of course my joy. :D

Affordability is relative anyway. I have some $30 ukes and some "higher end" ukes but I don't show any of them off in my signature, and I don't generally post NUDs because it's not important to me

:agree:

I don't resent anyone having MBs, I know I never will and I won't drive a Mercedes again either and neither is important to me. I'm grateful my current vehicle is still running

I could not have said this better myself. 4 wheels, 4 doors, that's all I need. :)

I always enjoy when someone is super happy and tickled with whatever uke they just got or enjoy most. I really enjoy the ukes I have

Yes, I think that reading about other people being happy helps me to have a positive outlook on life.

On that note, also, I'll share that of the ukes I have, my fave has remained the Koa Fluke Tenor that I got back in Feb 2014, yet I still go back every few days and play the first uke I bought (Kala KA-T Tenor laminate mahogany). I still enjoy both very much, but for very different reasons.

I just have to say, the following statement is probably the most important and truthful thing I have ever read here on UU in the past 14 months since I joined up....

I think the most important thing we can do is keep an attitude of gratitude and enjoyment of our gift of life here on this remarkable planet and make the most of it. Gratitude for others' happiness is a really good exercise in feeling abundant and joyful as well. I believe we really are all one with everyone and everything in this universe, so your joy is of course my joy. :D

Amen to that! :shaka:

Top Bottom