Blackbird Clara Group

While I don't think it's cause for concern, I shall email Joe anyway, just for curiosity's sake.

Joe of Blackbird has replied:

"Happily it appears to be a superficial, i.e. non-structural issue. That said, wiping down the instrument after playing and a regular waxing of the top is definitely advised. Also, if you (and any Clara owners for that matter) would like the issue addressed at the factory, you may return it to us for a quick refinish and sealing coat that will make it new again and with a greater barrier to sweat. This is an opt-in program as lots of folks are happy as is! Happily this process is 5-day turnaround once we receive the instrument. We'll cover return shipping and give it the once over as well as always."

Joe of Blackbird has replied:

"Happily it appears to be a superficial, i.e. non-structural issue. That said, wiping down the instrument after playing and a regular waxing of the top is definitely advised. Also, if you (and any Clara owners for that matter) would like the issue addressed at the factory, you may return it to us for a quick refinish and sealing coat that will make it new again and with a greater barrier to sweat. This is an opt-in program as lots of folks are happy as is! Happily this process is 5-day turnaround once we receive the instrument. We'll cover return shipping and give it the once over as well as always."

My Clara has gone to Blackbird and come home again. She's beautifully refinished and sounding as good as ever.

PereBourik, can you comment any further on the results of your refinishing? Mine is the original finish that has the areas of roughness, but it hasn't bothered me enough to send it back. I had spoke with Joe a few weeks back and he offered the refinishing option, but I was afraid it might end up with a thick clear coat like on the headstock, which I don't want. If it's thin and clean, I might be interested. Does it seem to have altered the sound of your Clara at all?

-Steve

Steve - I received mine back from re-finishing a week ago. It feels like it did when it was new but it's supposed to be more durable. I do not discern any difference in sound whatsoever. Still sounds great (mine is strung with Aquila Reds). Best, Eddie

PereBourik, can you comment any further on the results of your refinishing? Mine is the original finish that has the areas of roughness, but it hasn't bothered me enough to send it back. I had spoke with Joe a few weeks back and he offered the refinishing option, but I was afraid it might end up with a thick clear coat like on the headstock, which I don't want. If it's thin and clean, I might be interested. Does it seem to have altered the sound of your Clara at all?

-Steve

-Steve

Steve - I received mine back from re-finishing a week ago. It feels like it did when it was new but it's supposed to be more durable. I do not discern any difference in sound whatsoever. Still sounds great (mine is strung with Aquila Reds). Best, Eddie

It is an indiscernibly thin coat of urethane. It looks and sounds no different from before.

I figure I must have some weird skin chemistry because polishing with wax broke down pretty quickly. That's why I sent it back. Turnaround was actually faster than 5 days.

Mine also went back to Joe. Because I am in Singapore and I'm also taking the opportunity to swop the tuners for Gotoh UPTs, it's taking a little longer to return to me.

If swapping to Gotoh UPTs what will they do with the extra holes drilled for the standard production tuners? Fill them?

Mine also went back to Joe. Because I am in Singapore and I'm also taking the opportunity to swop the tuners for Gotoh UPTs, it's taking a little longer to return to me.

I don't really. But since it went back to the people who made it, I know it's in good hands.

What about us Blackbird Darth Vader Tenor folks???? Kinda selective aren't we????

What about us Blackbird Darth Vader Tenor folks???? Kinda selective aren't we????

Hang out if you like Hapuna. Everybody's welcome.

This was started for those of us in the first wave of Claras. It's different enough from my other ukes that I wanted a little company. Turns out a "Group" didn't really materialize, but the thread has been helpful.

Top Bottom