Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackbird Clara Group

Correction. I just noticed my Clara also has a rough spot where my forearm rests on the uke.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

While I don't think it's cause for concern, I shall email Joe anyway, just for curiosity's sake.
    In order of purchase:

Blackbird Tenor
    Blackbird Clara
    Boat Paddle A-style tenor (spruce/walnut)
    Pono TE Mango Deluxe
    Koaloha KTM-00-R
    Kinnard Series 2 tenor (cedar/Honduran rosewood)
    Barron River custom tenor (Huon pine/Aussie Blackwood)
    Outdoor tenor in Bottle Brown
    Outdoor tenor in Camouflage

Joe of Blackbird has replied:

"Happily it appears to be a superficial, i.e. non-structural issue. That said, wiping down the instrument after playing and a regular waxing of the top is definitely advised. Also, if you (and any Clara owners for that matter) would like the issue addressed at the factory, you may return it to us for a quick refinish and sealing coat that will make it new again and with a greater barrier to sweat. This is an opt-in program as lots of folks are happy as is! Happily this process is 5-day turnaround once we receive the instrument. We'll cover return shipping and give it the once over as well as always."
    In order of purchase:

Blackbird Tenor
    Blackbird Clara
    Pono TE Mango Deluxe
    Koaloha KTM-00-R

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Are there enough of us Clara players out here to start a group?
    Uh...I think that would be a flock.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Bread crumb
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Chen View Post
    Joe of Blackbird has replied:

"Happily it appears to be a superficial, i.e. non-structural issue. That said, wiping down the instrument after playing and a regular waxing of the top is definitely advised. Also, if you (and any Clara owners for that matter) would like the issue addressed at the factory, you may return it to us for a quick refinish and sealing coat that will make it new again and with a greater barrier to sweat. This is an opt-in program as lots of folks are happy as is! Happily this process is 5-day turnaround once we receive the instrument. We'll cover return shipping and give it the once over as well as always."
    My Clara has gone to Blackbird and come home again. She's beautifully refinished and sounding as good as ever.
    Why me?

PereBourik, can you comment any further on the results of your refinishing? Mine is the original finish that has the areas of roughness, but it hasn't bothered me enough to send it back. I had spoke with Joe a few weeks back and he offered the refinishing option, but I was afraid it might end up with a thick clear coat like on the headstock, which I don't want. If it's thin and clean, I might be interested. Does it seem to have altered the sound of your Clara at all?

-Steve

Steve - I received mine back from re-finishing a week ago. It feels like it did when it was new but it's supposed to be more durable. I do not discern any difference in sound whatsoever. Still sounds great (mine is strung with Aquila Reds). Best, Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    PereBourik, can you comment any further on the results of your refinishing? Mine is the original finish that has the areas of roughness, but it hasn't bothered me enough to send it back. I had spoke with Joe a few weeks back and he offered the refinishing option, but I was afraid it might end up with a thick clear coat like on the headstock, which I don't want. If it's thin and clean, I might be interested. Does it seem to have altered the sound of your Clara at all?

-Steve
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post

-Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Steve - I received mine back from re-finishing a week ago. It feels like it did when it was new but it's supposed to be more durable. I do not discern any difference in sound whatsoever. Still sounds great (mine is strung with Aquila Reds). Best, Eddie
    It is an indiscernibly thin coat of urethane. It looks and sounds no different from before.

I figure I must have some weird skin chemistry because polishing with wax broke down pretty quickly. That's why I sent it back. Turnaround was actually faster than 5 days.
    Why me?

Mine also went back to Joe. Because I am in Singapore and I'm also taking the opportunity to swop the tuners for Gotoh UPTs, it's taking a little longer to return to me.
    In order of purchase:

Blackbird Tenor
    Blackbird Clara
    Pono TE Mango Deluxe
    Koaloha KTM-00-R

Thread Information