Southcoast EFS Guilele String Set

drbekken

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/0LbQnIxTUN0

Here's a video of me playing a Yamaha GL-1 guitalele, set up with Southcoast's new 'Eddie Freeman Special Guilele String Set'. The instrument is tuned like a guitar (E to E), but with strings 4, 5 & 6 one octave up. This gives a re-entrant character to the tuning, and regular guitar chord shapes work perfectly. The sound is very mellow, and some interesting voicings emerge from the chord shapes. Cool indeed.

All right, I'll get completely carried away here and say that this is the GREATEST GUILELE VIDEO EVER MADE!

Is it the strings or is it the player? Well, I know it's the player. Man, this has an old time blues feel - Willie McTell? - I'm not sure, but Dr. B is well enough versed in these styles that it's really just him.

Still, I think the strings are pretty nice! The amazing thing is that I happen to know Doc has had these strings for only about a day. While the tuning is made up of standard guitar notes, it took him no time at all to adjust to the higher octave on the upper strings and crank out some first class Blues picking. He immediately found the possibilities for what some might think was the most challenging aspect of this set - chording, of course, is a snap for anyone who's played guitar.

Thanks so much, Doc! I really enjoyed it (even if it was our strings).

Well, thank you, Dirk. Those strings have opened up the Yamaha GL-1 big time. It's a whole new instrument. The sound somehow reminds me of a stripped down twelve string sound, so the Blind Willie McTell association is interesting. I'll do more videos with this instrument in the future.

Top Bottom