Britain. A rant.

Vagrant

Reaction score
Someone just messaged me and said this was too long to read... so I've shortened it:

Sometimes, Britain sucks. And I'd prefer it if we focussed on being what we are - a small group of islands off Europe, a group that does a few cultural things very well. ;)

Last edited:
Same story everywhere, I'm afraid... Well, at least in Canada. Bureaucrats close the offices at 4:30 in many locations. Even most banks manage to stay open until at least 5, but not government offices.

Sigh.

Blimey... it must be Sunday, the traditional day for the British to get depressed and rant about stuff!

So, I'm buying a tenor from another member on here, and it's currently winging its way to me from Canada. Everyone involved, from the guy selling it to me through to the Canadian and UK couriers, well they're all bending over backwards to get it to me quickly and securely...

All that is, apart from HMRC, especially the jobsworths in the Customs section, who, it would seem, knock off at 5 sharp on a Friday, and they do not work weekends (even though that means, with new flights of parcels still arriving all weekend, that there will be a two or three backlog to be cleared every Monday).
No, it's fine you guys, don't worry about those parcels marked 'Express', or the envelopes with 'Time Sensitive Documents Enclosed' stamped on them in big red letters, you go home...

A couple of years back, I was living in Richmond.... and it turns out one of the members of a martin forum was a HM customs and excise officer who would gather info on those posting that they were returning from the US with new guitars.... lo and behold, quite a few of them were nicked for VAT.

They are reading this I bet...

Hope things work out for you!

Terence

Gosh Vagrant...and I thought that I was Victor Meldrew :D

...but actually you do make a fair point......if it's a 24/7 hour activity it should have a 24/7 service ......

Gosh Vagrant...and I thought that I was Victor Meldrew :D

...but actually you do make a fair point......if it's a 24/7 hour activity it should have a 24/7 service ......

Yeah... sorry, next I'll be complaining about the neighbour's lawn, and that skip on the corner, and the dog dirt, and the streetlamps, and... agh, I'm too young to be getting this old!

.and I thought that I was Victor Meldrew :D ......

I. DONT. BELIEVE. IT !!!!!

But dont forget about, those dreams, those DROOLING dreams, about the PASTRY

mmm. mmmm. pastry. (licks lips while sleeping) -- the PASTRY !!!

ha ha

OFITG is AWESOME!!! and SO funny. :)

A couple of years back, I was living in Richmond.... and it turns out one of the members of a martin forum was a HM customs and excise officer who would gather info on those posting that they were returning from the US with new guitars.... lo and behold, quite a few of them were nicked for VAT.

They are reading this I bet...

Hope things work out for you!

Terence

Yeah I know, I'm fully expecting to be hit with import charges, VAT, handling fees, tea kitty fees (it's not like it's an expensive rare uke, it's just a nice one we can't get easily over here - like a lot of other nice things)... I just wish they'd hurry up about it! It's now four days since it arrived in the country on an Express 24 service... rargh!

If these guy's do read this hope you realise who is paying for your gold plated pensions and salaries,with no come back if you do anything wrong, unlike in the real world !!. Cant expect them to work 7 day's a week, thats far to much to ask.
Graham

Top Bottom