"A" string snapping on Gretch Tenor

lomafootSD

Reaction score
I have a Gretch G9120-SM and have Martin M620 flourocarbon strings on them. I love the tone of the strings on my tenor but my problem is that the "A" string has snapped twice. Has anyone had this problem with Martin strings or with their Gretch uke? Any suggestions on other flourocarbon brands?

We have so many 'ukulele shops in San Diego that can check that out, Loma Foot. There's probably one close to you. Is it breaking at the nut near the headstock, the tuners, the nut, the saddle or the bridge?

parts-of-the-ukulele.jpg

I have the same uke and have had no problems with the 620's or any other string for that matter.

Have you broken other brands beside Martin?

Where does the string break?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is breaking at the bridge. I initially came with Aquilla's which were on for a little over a month with no problem. I've had the M620's for about the same amount of time.

Thanks ricdoug! That is how I installed the strings but it snapping\breaking at the end of the knot where it feeds through the bridge. Maybe there is a sharp area in the slot that is causing the string to break? I wasn't even playing the uke both times it happened. I'll try another set and see what happens.

What uke shop do you recommend in San Diego just in case I need to have this looked at?

Are you possibly pinching the string with your fingernails when tightening the knot? If not, it sounds like the bridge slot might be the issue as you suggested.

Are you possibly pinching the string with your fingernails when tightening the knot? If not, it sounds like the bridge slot might be the issue as you suggested.

No, not pinching the string when tightening the knot. I have a spare of Aquila Super Nylgut that I put on, so we'll see what happens.

If you have a magnifying glass or 10x loupe carefully study the bridge slot where the breakages occur as others have said. If you just keep installing a new A string to see what happens you might once again be disappointed. Also the other problem area I have found is the sharp edge of the string hole on the tuners. I myself have the Gretsch 9120 Tenor SM and I had to relieve the sharp edge on all four tuners. Sharp eyes needed for sharp edges. Good luck.

If you have a magnifying glass or 10x loupe carefully study the bridge slot where the breakages occur as others have said. If you just keep installing a new A string to see what happens you might once again be disappointed. Also the other problem area I have found is the sharp edge of the string hole on the tuners. I myself have the Gretsch 9120 Tenor SM and I had to relieve the sharp edge on all four tuners. Sharp eyes needed for sharp edges. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! I'll go ahead and do that and if that's the problem figure out how I'm going to smooth out that slot. I thought maybe it was the thinner guage of the M620's but Stagehand pointed out he has the same model as well with the same strings but no problems.

Silly question...Are you reusing the same string or a new one?

Yes, since I only had it on for about a month I re-used the same string. Probably a bone head thing to do on my part. Since the second break I switched to Super Nylgut strings since I didn't have any an extra flourocarbon set. Are you thinking the string maybe bad?

There are so many ukulele shops in San Diego. Are you in North County, Mira Mesa, PB or other area?

I'm in PQ. There is a Bertrands Music shop close but not sure on their uke work. I purchased both my daughters sopranos from them but they don't do any type of setup work before they sell.

Okay, swapped out the strings on 7/08 with Aquilla Super Nylgut strings after 3 weeks "A" string is still going strong. I think I may just had a bum\faulty string with the Martins.

Top Bottom