9 12.33%
  • STRING THROUGH

20 27.40%
  • SLOT

15 20.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bridge preference ?

Default bridge preference ?

Just finished restringing a ukulele.I'm wondering what your favorite bridge style is?. not referring to shape, but the method of string attachment,

tie- you know, tie it around the bridge or use beads.

pin- you tie a knot and put it through a hole, then stick the pin in.

string through-just a string sized hole, the knot or bead is in the body

slot- you tie a knot and slide it through a slot cut into the bridge.

A m I missing some?

I know what my least favorite is as the uke I just restrung has it. But I don't want to bias my poll. I know there are advantages [and disadvantages to each type. what are your thoughts.Just finished restringing a ukulele.I'm wondering what your favorite bridge style is?. not referring to shape, but the method of string attachment,

m I missing some?

I know what my least favorite is as the uke I just restrung has it. But I don't want to bias my poll. I know there are advantages [and disadvantages to each type. what are your thoughts.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

My response would be "anything but (not specifying it so as not to bias people)" - of the four in the poll, one is a dealbreaker for me, one I've never encountered, and the other two are equally okay by me

Let me just say, I don't care at all what kind of bridge I have. It's strictly cosmetic to me. I had a custom uke built and sent the builder this photo. I believe it's called a Gilbert Bridge, much more common with classical guitars than ukuleles. I think it looks very elegant.

Lanikai bridge.jpg

Here's how it came out.

DSCN0366.jpg
    Last edited by stevepetergal; 07-13-2014 at 04:57 AM.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

I thought (not to bias anyone) was going to bomb in this poll, but it is my favorite and I hope that it's used more because it (not to bias anyone...insert word rocks or sucks here). My least favorite is (not to bias anyone), and although it is on most of my ukes, it really (only insert sucks here).
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-12-2014 at 12:27 PM.

I just changed the string tie on my Lanikai quilted ash to string through. Saw that on a uke at the U-Space Ukulele Expo and thought that it's a genius way of transferring the tension on the bridge from horizontal to vertical, and tighten the bridge to the top.

The only alternate I can think of is a tailpiece, like I just had done on a custom gypsy jazz style uke.

There are things to dislike about all four methods. String through can be hard to get started and sometimes hard to get out. Tie takes some practice to get right and you have to be careful. Slotted - it is easy to damage the high string slot. Pins sometimes hard to get out and sometimes hard to get to stay at first. Also pins break and get lost. I really hate pins but not enough that they are a deal breaker for me, but I avoid them if I have the choice. And what I really hate with vehemence is a tailpiece.

I'm going to go with tie. I was used to them on CG, I think they look classy if done well.

Slots are okay, don't have any strong feelings about them one way or the other and they're easy.

Not particularly fond of pins. I've had one fly out unexpectedly before. It could poke your eye out!

Never had a string thru, but I don't think I'd like having to fish the string out thru the soundhole.

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    Let me just say, I don't care at all what kind of bridge. It's strictly cosmetic to me. I had a custom uke built and sent the builder this photo. I think it looks very elegant.

Lanikai bridge.jpg
    Surprisingly, it's a really easy way to keep the strings in place.

My real preference would be someone else do it for me, hate changing strings.

Quote Originally Posted by strumsilly View Post
    Just finished restringing a ukulele.I'm wondering what your favorite bridge style is?. not referring to shape, but the method of string attachment,

A m I missing some?

I know what my least favorite is as the uke I just restrung has it. But I don't want to bias my poll. I know there are advantages [and disadvantages to each type. what are your thoughts.Just finished restringing a ukulele.I'm wondering what your favorite bridge style is?. not referring to shape, but the method of string attachment,

m I missing some?

I know what my least favorite is as the uke I just restrung has it. But I don't want to bias my poll. I know there are advantages [and disadvantages to each type. what are your thoughts.
    I'm going with tie i find it the most secure. I don't like the slot style at all.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

Thread Information