Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Bob Marley on the Ukulele

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    221

    Default Bob Marley on the Ukulele

    Any Bob fans on UU? I didn't listen to much else in my teens (20 yrs ago now) and have always loved his music. I only recently started playing around with some of my fave Marley songs on the uke and it really seems to suit the ukulele sound, just a one finger strumming pattern with a muted chord sounds great and resembles that very woody, percussive sound of Bob's old recordings. 'Natural mystic', 'War/No more trouble', 'Concrete Jungle' and 'So Jah Seh' being some of my favourites.
    I tend to mainly focus on the music side and try to reproduce melodies on the Uke rather than playing the chords and singing along (mainly cos Its not easy or appropriate to sing in Yardie when you're an Englishman pushing 40)
    I have seen a few Ukulele videos on YouTube of his big hits, 'No woman no cry', Is this love' etc, but would love to hear some renditions of other songs.
    I'm so glad I was such a fan in my younger years as I now know his songs inside out which gives me a big catalogue to have a go at playing!
    Last edited by DazW; 07-12-2014 at 01:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    let's hear some samples!
    Just Play

    Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DazW View Post
    Any Bob fans on UU? I didn't listen to much else in my teens (20 yrs ago now) and have always loved his music. I only recently started playing around with some of my fave Marley songs on the uke and it really seems to suit the ukulele sound, just a one finger strumming pattern with a muted chord sounds great and resembles that very woody, percussive sound of Bob's old recordings. 'Natural mystic', 'War/No more trouble', 'Concrete Jungle' and 'So Jah Seh' being some of my favourites.
    I tend to mainly focus on the music side and try to reproduce melodies on the Uke rather than playing the chords and singing along (mainly cos Its not easy or appropriate to sing in Yardie when you're an Englishman pushing 40)
    I have seen a few Ukulele videos on YouTube of his big hits, 'No woman no cry', Is this love' etc, but would love to hear some renditions of other songs.
    I'm so glad I was such a fan in my younger years as I now know his songs inside out which gives me a big catalogue to have a go at playing!
    If you like Marley, consider trying a little Jimmy Cliff (Wonderful World, Beautiful People; i Can See Clearly Now, etc.) as well.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    * CGDA reentrant, ***GDAE, The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    If you like Marley, consider trying a little Jimmy Cliff (Wonderful World, Beautiful People; i Can See Clearly Now, etc.) as well.
    Hi, yes I do recall a few Jimmy Cliff songs, 'The harder they come' was my favourite, which was the soundtrack for a film if I remember rightly

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    let's hear some samples!
    I will get around to making some videos eventually! For the time being Im happy to just entertain myself. I'd consider myself a fairly competent player but we all know what usually happens when you hit that record button! Fingers turn to jelly, especially when it's going to be posted for the masses on UU!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    2,270

    Default

    Totally agree - Love Bob Marley's music. At the age of 16, some 20 years ago, I got a 4-CD Bob Marley collection that I loved. It's all good. Lots of the songs are pretty basic chords - usually 3 or 4 chords - so it's definitely good for the uke.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Ah well, and there was me expecting to see some pictures...
    http://dailyukulele.wordpress.com an exploratory quest... and some chords for Formby solos
    1925 Regal, 5 string Makala Dolphin, 4 string Makala Dolphin, Tom Pocket, Cole and Dunas Olympian banjo uke

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    trondheim, norway
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    http://youtu.be/3v6bu3xVRwY

    Here's one I did a good while back. It's on the CATCH A FIRE album, and I believe it's really a Peter Tosh song....Oh, well...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    Slightly off-topic, but someone mentioned Jimmy Cliff. He appears and performs a lot of songs in Club Paradise

    For some reason, I really like this film.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
    Ah well, and there was me expecting to see some pictures...
    Sorry, I just realised the thread title could be misleading. Here's one for you, he's holding a gorgeous old Martin in his left hand just out of shot

    image.jpg

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •