Tenor no 5 in mahogany/sapele/cherry

greenscoe

Reaction score
Here are some photos of tenor no 5 just recently finished and completed over a 2 week period ( approx 45hrs). The front and back are in sapele, the sides in mahogany, and the neck in cherry with a scarf joint. This is my first use of cherry, a pretty wood but a little harder to shape by hand than the sapele I've used for my other ukes. The binding is basswood using a single piece though the walnut purfling is in 2 pieces. Its finished in Tru oil.

I hope folks like my rosette/end graft and head decoration inspired by a rosette someone on this forum made with machine tools: my rosette was made with a router (sapele, lime and tulipwood).

The box is shallower than my previous ukes, 3" (75mm) just fore of the bridge and tapering to both ends, with small curvature.

I've strung it with Worth browns and am pleased to say its my best sounding uke to date with more volume, more clarity, more sustain and an even warm tone: a definite step forward in my uke making.

I attribute this improvement to a thinner soundboard (nominally 2 mm and feathered around the edges), and lighter bracing. As before I have used no bridge patch and 3 light fan braces and have reduced the size of the cross brace below the soundhole.

(Total wt for those interested is 20 oz or 575 g)

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks: can someone tell me how I can learn to slow down as I continue to make mistakes by being impatient even though I've no reason to rush?

tenor5a.jpgtenor5b.jpgtenor5c.jpgtenor5d.jpgtenor5e.jpg

Looks very nice. How is it braced?

it looks great. thanks for the pics. I'm about to start my second tenor and the first using sapele and I was worried about using it as a soundboard. great job on the end graft. looks clean to me.

Top Bottom