Buy one for Low G

frankie981

Reaction score
I have played my Kala Solid Spruce Top Soprano for 6 months.
I want to get a new uke in a Low-G set up for finger-style.
So, I want to get my second uke~
The followings are my budgeted choices:rolleyes:

Kamoa All Solid Pineapple E3-P
Ohana All Solid Mahogany Pineapple PK-25G

or any better choice?
Thank you

Thanks, and I wanna ask is it good to use worth Low-G string? Aquila Low-G?
or use high G string rearrange
HG LG
G-->E,
C-->G,
E-->C,
A unchanged

which one better?

Thanks, and I wanna ask is it good to use worth Low-G string? Aquila Low-G?
or use high G string rearrange
HG LG
G-->E,
C-->G,
E-->C,
A unchanged

which one better?

Suggest you go with any low-G GCEA package, and the brand is immaterial. I know that's heresy to some, but any new strings are going to take a couple/few days to stabilize, and then they all sound pretty good. Each maker has a preferred string brand, and that's usually a good first choice.

Unless you are ready to have the "G" nut slot rechannelled, stick with a wound low-G string. The wound low-G is approximately the same diameter as the unwound high-G, so it fits the nut slot without modification (rechannelling wider). Unless you are used to rechannelling nut slots, have the right tools and don't mind a permanent modification which may make the unstrument less valuable to others, the wound low-G is the safe bet.

Suggest you go with any low-G GCEA package, and the brand is immaterial. I know that's heresy to some, but any new strings are going to take a couple/few days to stabilize, and then they all sound pretty good. Each maker has a preferred string brand, and that's usually a good first choice.

Unless you are ready to have the "G" nut slot rechannelled, stick with a wound low-G string. The wound low-G is approximately the same diameter as the unwound high-G, so it fits the nut slot without modification (rechannelling wider). Unless you are used to rechannelling nut slots, have the right tools and don't mind a permanent modification which may make the unstrument less valuable to others, the wound low-G is the safe bet.
:DThanks for reply, really helpful
wound low-G?will it be too much tension in ukulele?
worry the neck and body will break down...:confused:

:DThanks for reply, really helpful
wound low-G?will it be too much tension in ukulele?
worry the neck and body will break down...:confused:

Wound low G is the most common used so no worries about it damaging the uke. They are made for ukes and have the proper tension.

Regard overall quality of Ohana vs Kala I would say both are very close. Kala really does a good job of QC on even their inexpensive models. You can safely pick which ever one you like the best. Action height will vary, can be all over the place and very random. Seeing you are in Hong Kong buy from HMS = Hawaii Music Supply and they do a professional level set up on every instrument at no extra charge. You can specify they set it up with a low G and they will even recommend which strings will work best. When you receive your uke it will be good to go and play great.

Top Bottom