Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K necks question?

Default K necks question?

I'm ready to spring for that Koa tenor and I think all the Ks sounds great. But I'm picky about my necks when it comes to what I like to play. I love the chunky neck of my Pono and hate the razor thin neck on my Moku. I don't mind a wide neck at all as I have thin long fingers. Could you advise me here and describe the neck on your K brand tenor? I won't get to hold one before buying. Thanks - john

Kanile'a has probably the widest neck. It is wider than Kamaka not sure about KoAloha.
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Quote Originally Posted by molokinirum View Post
    Kanile'a has probably the widest neck. It is wider than Kamaka not sure about KoAloha.
    Can't speak to tenor, but in case it helps - I measured the circumference of all three for concert ukes several years ago, and Kanile'a had the largest circumference, Koaloha the smallest.

I have a Kanile'a Tenor, and the neck is bigger than most. Also, I have large hands as well. I also own and play a Kamaka and the Kamaka neck is thinner.
    Kanile'a 6 String K-1, Kamaka HF-3, Makala Concert

Thank God the Tiki Bar is open!!!!

What about the chunky factor on these necks? I don't do well with super thin necks. Width of the neck is secondary to the fat or thinness of the neck.

Well again, I think of all K brands, Kanile'a is what you are looking for in terms of the neck being chunky. Like I said, I also have big hands (am 6'4") and can play either brand, but the Kanile'a neck "fills" up my hand way better than Kamaka.
    Kanile'a 6 String K-1, Kamaka HF-3, Makala Concert

Thank God the Tiki Bar is open!!!!

Call up Andrew at the Ukulele Site (Hawaii Music Supply) and discuss it with him. He will help you sort out you preferences and turn them into a good choice for you. He does this for a living and has great knowledge and attitude. They will even play ukes over the phone for you. Mim of Mim's Ukes can do this as well. There are others here on the forum too.

The rest of us are really just opinions floating on the clouds. You have no way of knowing if we know anything or are just echoing what we've heard. In my case I don't find neck thickness or shape to be much of an issue at all. Go by sound and learn to adapt to different instruments is my style.

If you look at my sig you'll see I have more ukes than skills. I'm working on the skills but fussing over neck feel seems a pretty modest part of the whole experience. YMMV

In the end, buy the one you love.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

KoAloha necks are thin. Man, I loved mine. My ukulele now has a much thicker neck, but I got used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Call up Andrew at the Ukulele Site (Hawaii Music Supply) and discuss it with him. He will help you sort out you preferences and turn them into a good choice for you. He does this for a living and has great knowledge and attitude. They will even play ukes over the phone for you. Mim of Mim's Ukes can do this as well. There are others here on the forum too.

The rest of us are really just opinions floating on the clouds. You have no way of knowing if we know anything or are just echoing what we've heard. In my case I don't find neck thickness or shape to be much of an issue at all. Go by sound and learn to adapt to different instruments is my style.

If you look at my sig you'll see I have more ukes than skills. I'm working on the skills but fussing over neck feel seems a pretty modest part of the whole experience. YMMV

In the end, buy the one you love.

I already planned on talking with Andrew but I think there are several owners here with the skills to share solid information that I can add up to a total in the end.

Well I'll stick with my preference for fat necks as being one important criteria for any uke I buy. I started so late in life that my adaptability is limited due to arthritis and old joints. If I was in my 40s I'll bet I'd agree with you totally and just go for the best sound. I appreciate your input,

In the end I may end up with a acacia from Pono. They have one right now that sounds really rich and warm and full. It's on the list and I know I like how they play for me.
    Last edited by Icelander53; 07-24-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Call up Andrew at the Ukulele Site (Hawaii Music Supply) and discuss it with him. He will help you sort out you preferences and turn them into a good choice for you.
    This is good advice. Meanwhile, I have to add that I don't see that Kanilea tenor necks are "thick," if what you mean is Pono-chunky-thick (depth). Kanilea necks are not chunky; they are wide, and maybe that's what fills up some people's hands. Knowing your chunky preference, Icey, I would say that Kanilea might be the worst choice. (Maybe the concerts are thick, but . . .) KoAloha is thicker than Kanilea (and also 1.5" at the nut), but not "chunky" (like a Pono). I have never played a Koolau, and I didn't pay attention to the necks on the Kamakas that I played. But, yeah – call Andrew (though probably not immediately, as it's 6:59 a.m. there).
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke Pono Spruce/Acacia Baritone AB-SP Islander solid mahogany concert Kala spruce top "travel" baritone Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano my daughter's abandoned Flea

Thread Information