Raising Action @ Nut - Tip

Paul December

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this on...
...I was lowering the action at the nut with a knife/file and accidentally went too far :eek:
I didn't go super deep, but deep enough that the string started buzzing with heavy strokes on the 1st fret.
I'm more than a little too anally retentive to wedge something under the string to elevate it, so put on my thinking cap. My solution was Crazy Glue.
Not any Crazy Glue, but the newer stuff called Crazy Glue Gel
I removed the string from the slot, taped-off both edges of the groove and carefully scooped glue into it with a needle as an applicator (not directly out of the bottle). The Gel is thicker and easier to work with and was able to make the groove not-so-deep (you don't need to completely fill it). The nice thing about this glue is it hardens to a very dense resin, not much different from the synthetic bone the nut is made of. Being glue, you also don't need to worry about it ever slipping out.
I let it fully dry for a day and then filed the slot down again, but not as much as the 1st time. :)

This probably would help those who modified the nut for a Low G, and went back to a High G too.

Last edited:
I'll add on if you really need some fill add baking soda immediately after putting the gel it the slot Somehow the baking soda helps harden the gel and also acts as a real material in the glue which makes it last longer...

Top Bottom