Low G 50/50 options?

mr79

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm starting to like low G on my tenor quite a lot... and unlike most, I quite like the wound strings!

My question is - does anyone know of a (readily available in the UK) supplier of Low G sets that have a 50/50 set up, with wounds for the G and C, with plains for the E and A.

I know Southcoast do a set, but the cost with shipping makes them more than double (nearly triple!) the price of most sets I can buy here in the UK (sorry Dirk)... so I was wondering if D'Addario or someone makes a set like this? Or is there some particular classical guitar strings I can use for the G and C?

I've tried the Googling and the searching, but can't find an exact answer!

Obviously when I win the lottery I'll just buy a container full of Southcoast's, but in the meantime your 'elp an' advice'd be appreciated for this fiscally challenged individual :)

Last edited:
If you can find a UK seller of Ko'Olau, I know they make them.

...is there some particular classical guitar strings I can use for the G and C?

Even though these are strings for a baritone, these are the only ones I know of off the top of my head that have a wound C and G string in the set:

D'Addario J68 Baritone Ukulele Strings
D'Addario EJ88B Nyltech Baritone Ukulele Strings

they might work on a tenor, but I have never tried, but they seem to be pretty common to most places that sell strings...

other folks might chime in if the baritone strings will work on a tenor...

otherwise if you get a few standard classical guitar strings, sold as 'singles' such as a wound 0.027" for the C string and a wound 0.030" for the G string.

I know that stringsbymail.com has these as single strings made by La Bella, D'Addario and Savarez. You have to go into the section for 'classical guitar' and then to each brand, and then towards the bottom of their products list is 'single strings' and then you would select whichever 'wound' or 'basses' as opposed to 'nylon' or 'trebles'.

This vendor may have others, but I have not explored all aspects of their site yet...

-Booli :)

Aquila makes low G sets with wound G and C strings.

I know Ko'olau has 50/50 sets and I thought Hilo had sets as well but can't find any references to them.

the Martin M630 Baritone set has 2 wound basses. they are cheap [about $5 here]and sound great [to me anyway] I haven;t tried them on a tenor,but they work great on my Favilla [18 inch scale] you would probably have to change the tuning to get the tension right, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work. the only thing I don't like about them is the 3rd string is wound with aluminum and it makes my strumming finger get black. just the tip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom