Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a couple of strap options

Default a couple of strap options

Some of you already know I'm a big fan of straps with strap buttons. I've been happy for quite some time with a Levy's Leathers mandolin strap on all of my ukes. But recently, moving to my biggest uke yet (my Kamaka Ohta-San) I started to think I needed something with more stability.

My teacher has been recommending that I use a 2" guitar strap for years now. I've resisted, because it always seemed like too much strap - I didn't want a strap that weighed more than the uke itself!

But after having some difficulty with the Ohta-San, I decided to investigate guitar strap options. My criteria started pretty simple: made in USA, and of a natural fiber. One thing led to the next and after seeing all the options out there, I decided it had to have a rose floral pattern. Picky, picky.

Turns out I found not one, but two options, that fit all of the above. The first is a company called Legacy Straps, based (and made) in Pennsylvania. Their website uses plug-ins that don't play well with my Mac, so I had to find another way to look at their stuff. Turns out they sell via Amazon. I bought this one, sold as a "girl's" strap but it doesn't seem particularly kid-sized toe me - adjusted to the shortest possible length, it's perfect for me and my concert-scale ukes. It's made of cotton and faux leather and has the roses that I wanted, and plastic hardware that seems less likely to scratch than metal would. And the price of under $20, shipped to my door, is unbeatable.

Then I found the high-end option: Feedback Straps on Etsy. I bought this one. This one is hemp, with ribbon trim and metal hardware. It was made to my size specifications and shipped within 2 or 3 days. At almost $80 with shipping, this one is no bargain - but it's a beautiful, handmade work of art! The downside is the metal hardware, which makes it almost as heavy as the uke, and considering my tendency to be clumsy, I'm a little worried that it will scratch. So I'm saving this as my special-occasion strap

All of that to say that I'm really happy with both of these. The sellers were super easy to work with, and I liked knowing that my purchase was supporting a small business rather than a big-box store. So - just passing it on in case anybody else is looking for other strap options.

ive been having an issue with straps lately too!! Ive always been happy with just a plain old generic black guitar strap, or a rigged up strap fom a backpack or gig bag plus a shoe lace lol not pretty but it worked! Now that im coming up into the world of nicer higher end ukes i want something better its just so hard for me to drop that kinda money on something that in reality i barely see while im playing and once i set it down its outta mind. Eventually when i have more disposable income ill get me sumthin purdy but as of now ill probably have to stick to my shoelace and gigbag strap!

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    just a plain old generic black guitar strap
    Funny thing, I've always been pretty much a generic basic-black person when it comes to this sort of thing myself. (Tried the shoelace really early on, didn't work for me.) But once I started looking I decided why not get something with a little personality. Very unlike me, but I'm glad I did it, because what I got is both functional and nice looking.

Souldier straps in Chicago make some very nice fabric straps - they do guitar ones in the standard 2inch width, but I found the mandolin one the perfect size for my tenor. Fabric with any range of patterns on top, so comfy too. On their website the sample shows metal buckles, but mine has plastic: http://www.souldier.us/CustomMandolinStraps.aspx

I'd love to be able to find this sort of thing here in the UK, but they always seem to be in the US - you are all very lucky!
    The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously. - Principia Discordia, Part 5

Quote Originally Posted by mr79 View Post
    Souldier straps in Chicago make some very nice fabric straps - they do guitar ones in the standard 2inch width, but I found the mandolin one the perfect size for my tenor. Fabric with any range of patterns on top, so comfy too. On their website the sample shows metal buckles, but mine has plastic: http://www.souldier.us/CustomMandolinStraps.aspx

I'd love to be able to find this sort of thing here in the UK, but they always seem to be in the US - you are all very lucky!
    Oh wow, they have some really good options too. I've seen their guitar straps at my local shop but didn't realize they also did custom orders - will keep them in mind next time. Or maybe I need the 1" width one for my soprano now...

I like a thin strap so I make up my own using a Levy 5/8" cloth strap and add a Martin leather button extender to one end. I'm waiting on a custom u-bass and have already put together a 1" strap from a shoulder bag strap and two Martin extenders.

Last edited by kohanmike; 07-28-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr79 View Post

I went with the mandolin strap with two strap buttons
    Kala KASCG

Martin C1-K

Pono MT Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
    two strap buttons
    I'm trying to understand what the purpose of the second strap button is (on the heel) - does it help with stability at all?

When I play, I have found that sometimes having only one strap buttons makes the strap get in the way of my right hand..or at least it feels that way to me....When I have two strap buttons, I never notice the strap at all, and I feel free when playing.
    "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."Thomas Merton

Those Feedback Straps look very cool!

Not to hijack this thread, but since others are making strap recommendations or posting what they themselves use, I thought I'd put in a word for Sherrin's Threads on etsy. These are one-inch (ukulele) or two-inch (guitar) straps, made in the USA (California) with some very cool designs. I have this one in the one-inch (pictured) size.

I attach it to my headstock using this headstiock attachment adapter loop.

Thread Information