Thread: Islander MC4 -sharp bottom edge. Ouch!

Question Islander MC4 -sharp bottom edge. Ouch!

I love the sound of my Islander MC4 ukulele. but, as anyone who has looked at this instrument probably knows, it has a sharp bottom edge on the body. It's really beginning to chafe my right forearm which helps support the Uke while I play!

besides wearing a long sleeve shirt in the island heat, can anyone make a suggestion as to what I can do about this minor problem?

Taisamlu, on ebay, sells a rosewood armrest. I think they're pretty cheap, too. Worth a try.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Is the bridge also sharp? I've seen some pictures and they look like they could use sandpaper

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Yooke View Post
    Is the bridge also sharp? I've seen some pictures and they look like they could use sandpaper

I thought of this as well. I was hoping someone with more experience in woodworking and ukulele building would have some advice before I take an orbital sander to me Uke'

PS- the bridge is also sharp, although that hasn't been a problem as of yet.

Yea, big pet peeve of mine. How hard is it to round off the edges before finishing? I also don't like sharp edges on the bridge or the nut. I've carefully taken sandpaper to many a uke to make them more comfortable to play. You will destroy the finish, but personally I think it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by seesar View Post
    Yea, big pet peeve of mine. How hard is it to round off the edges before finishing? I also don't like sharp edges on the bridge or the nut. I've carefully taken sandpaper to many a uke to make them more comfortable to play. You will destroy the finish, but personally I think it is worth it.
    these ukes are built in China on a production line by people who do not even play the uke....
    most ukes I see do not have rounded edges....even custom ukes.... as I am sure not as easy as you think...time consuming..

I guess try to adjust your arm so it does not rest on the edge of the uke....

my 2 cents

can anyone make a suggestion as to what I can do about this minor problem?
    Fit a strap button and use a strap, or, if drilling the instrument is an unnattractive option, try one of the "leash" options, several of which have been mentioned in other postings on similar subjects. Not only will a strap free up your right arm to do what a right arm needs to do, but it'll make your chord-changes with your left hand easier as well
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Thread Information