Make a You Tube video?

I recentely played for a new friend of mine....she said she thinks I'm good enough to post my own You Tube video. I've been watching them for years, but I have no idea how I would go about making one. Any tips gang?

I record on my smartphone and upload directly to YouTube. It is the least complicated method I have found.

I record on my smartphone and upload directly to YouTube. It is the least complicated method I have found.
I'm not good enough, and I record with a handheld video recorder, a Zoom Q3HD that I bought used. Very uncomplicated, I can do some basic editing, then upload directly to the net. The audio is pretty good, the video just ok. nothing wrong with using what you have and upgrading when you can. A better mic than your smartphone has [depending] probably would give a lot better quality .

Another uncomplicated method: record (and edit, if you want to) on Youtube itself.

Just sign in to Youtube, hit the Upload button in the top right corner, when select Webcam Capture to record yourself right on your laptop or web camera (no separate camera necessary).

oh and btw, it is something you can learn along the way so just go for it!

There is a lot, and I mean a whole helluva LOT of garbage on Youtube. If you can tune your instrument properly you're already more talented than about a third of the people posting videos of themselves allegedly playing music. In all fairness though, some of the garbage alleging to be music is crap I've posted...

When I first decided to start doing videos, I started my Youtube channel with the idea of tracking any improvements in my playing. For my first 8 months or so of doing Youtube videos I didn't have any way to record video. So, I recorded the music on my computer and made little slide shows on the Movie Maker program and added some funny commentary for the benefit of my daughter, who is my #1 fan in spite of the fact that she has near perfect hearing... Now I just upload videos I make on my Android.

Incidentally, you can make any or all of your videos private. Honestly though, Youtube has so many people people posting ukulele videos that unless you're either simply amazing or absolutely awful you aren't going to see much traffic for a while, and the vast majority of your posts will just get lost in all the others.

I had the same experiences as Destroyer. I put up a tutorial and it had over 13k views before I took it down. So, viewers do enjoy tutorials, I can see. I, too, tracked my personal progress with videos for a while.

I agree with D that it's odd but true: People are so hasty to put up videos, they may not even tune up, let alone learn the song thoroughly. UU members are incessant tuners, so wouldn't be them. But I do see many that practice a tune for what must be a couple hours and then toss the thing up there.

I'm a perfectionist at heart. I've been playing Up, Up,Up by O Positive from Uke4ias tabs for a year now. Maybe, just maybe, I'm ready to record it on video for him to enjoy. Lol.

Ahhhh! I never thought of making a singing/playing vid on my phone/ipod device.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Now just to screw up that final scrap of courage to record the song I have in mind and then put it out there.

Lol I'm one who may not tune before recording. I figure its not that serious. It's just YouTube.

Tammy says we have a webcam and a micrphone. I wouldn't know one from another, LOL. I have no such thing as an ipod or iphone, way outta my league, technolgically and fiscally....
it might be good for me to see/hear myself, I've heard that's a good way to learn performing...lots of people think I'm good....I just laugh and say thanks, but you've nver heard anybody good, that's why you think that! LOL
I rarely play without tuning....it sounds like sh----!

lets start with equipment. do you have a webcam and a microphone? Windows or Mac or linux? I am asking these just to find out how to help you most, not to confuse you.

oh, and it's Windows....I have XP, which I understand is outdated....kinda like me....

kk. lots of free programs out there. I use one that came with my webcam for video capture(yours might have a built in microphone), one for extracting the audio from the video raw footage, and audacity(google the legacy version as it will work in xp) for audio work. Hope you already have windows movie maker on your computer because microsoft no longer supports xp and I use this for video editing(i don't know of a freeware alternative.) I am just starting out and am having issues that I need to work out with this process myself.

Many digital cameras (which you might primarily think of as still cameras) can also record video/sound. Of course, video/sound takes more space than still pics, so you might be limited by the size of the camera's memory card.

Another uncomplicated method: record (and edit, if you want to) on Youtube itself.

Just sign in to Youtube, hit the Upload button in the top right corner, when select Webcam Capture to record yourself right on your laptop or web camera (no separate camera necessary).

i'm done this with my chromebooks and it seems like it introduces way too much stutter. while recording it looks fine, playback is choppy. i probably just need more horsepower...i'll try my samsung galaxy s4 next...

I'd been putting videos up of myself playing guitar before learning the ukulele.

I just used my iPhone for ease, but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. I also found that I didn't get an awful lot of views, but I wasn't too bothered about that. I agree that there's so many people out there posting videos that many good videos just seem to get lost. However I put up a few tutorials/lessons and got loads of views/likes.

I think that's the way forward if you want to be seen by many.

In iphone, even an older 4s does a great job recording video, the internal mic isn't great though.

Get a simple and inexpensive mic with a digital interface (not those iRig clunkers that use the headphone jack) and you have pretty decent quality video. You can find the Tascam IM2 stereo microphone for iPhone for less than $20 just about anywhere and it does a pretty good job.

I recommend spending a few bucks on the MoviePro app instead of the built in video camera because you can adjust FPS and resolution and get a decent quality vid with a much smaller file size. Upload that to YouTube and use their built in editor to clip the start, stop, and a title and perhaps a fade in and out effect. If you already have an old phone lying around its a great option. There are some cheap little camera tripod mounts as well if you want more flexibility with camera placement.

Thanks guys....now I must sift through the tech speak...old dinosaur that I am....

First suggestion: Go to Seasons Of The Ukulele , You will get all the encouragement and help you need to get into the video making business. I didn't even have a webcam until December 21 2014. Talk about a Luddite, That's me. Its a month later now: Subscribe please I need all the critical advice I can get. A friend of mine Ray, started a tutorial on making and promoting videos. Neither He or I will ever be more than Good Enough for Folk Music so don't worry about that.

Here is my latest video:

BTW: Someone suggested the YouTube ukulele market is saturated so not to expect to much viewing activity. BS its a matter of marketing. Join SOTU you see. I got over 800 non-embedded views in a month. I am truly no great shakes.

Top Bottom