Soprano - 14 fret, 375mm scale?

Paul Henneberry

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was thinking of making slightly longer necks with 14 frets to the body on a little batch of sopranos I’ve started. So far, I have made sopranos with 349mm scale lengths and 12 frets to the body as per the basic Grellier plan. I used the stewmac fret calculator to work out 14 frets to the body and a 375mm scale and this would result in moving the bridge about 8mm towards the sound hole. Next up is gluing down the bridge plates which I will have to move as well and I thought I’d ask you guys what you think of that scale length and the implications of moving the bridge before I committed. I have checked and the finished instruments will still fit the hard cases I prefer.
cheers
Paul

14.76" is close enough to 15" (380mm) to call it a super soprano so there's nothing wrong with the scale length from a "form factor" perspective. I can't speak to the bridge moving aspect.

There certainly is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I can't play a soprano, my hands are too big so for me what you are doing would make it more playable. You can cheat the sound hole up some to compensate or make alternative sound ports. Its all good, the world is your oyster.

Top Bottom