Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "It Is A Puzzlement!"

Peaceweaver3, I don't think we're talking about the name of these chords. We could call them Pete and Jim and Tom or whatever. We're really talking about the SOUND of the chords. If one plays all four strings open, he gets a Pete Chord, and, if he plays the same chord again, will he get a Jim or Tom Chord?
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Let’s look at an example….

The C Major chord is C-E-G (the first, third and fifth notes of the C major scale). If we add the sixth note of the scale (A), then we have C6 (C-E-G-A).

The A minor chord is A-C-E (the first, third and fifth notes of the natural A minor scale). If we add the seventh note of the scale (G), then we have Am7 (A-C-E-G).

Same notes, just stacked differently. What you call it (C6 or Am7) depends on the harmonic context.
    Thou Shalt Not.

Yes Wicked, but one is not playing the notes one at a time (i. e. A, C, E, G, vs. C, E, G, A). One is playing them both GCEA. So, of course, both strums will sound exactly the same. The ACEG is minor, but will it sound minor? Only if one believes it does and clicks his heels three times.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 08-10-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Gb is the same note as F#...different names ..same note ...as are G# / A b A # / Bb C#/Db D#/Eb......these are all black notes on a piano keyboard and known as Enharmonic one note sound ...two names or "spellings"......It all depends what scale or key they are written in.

The chords you refer to are similar. Same shape, different names ...but same sounds ....there are loads of others ......best bet is this "rocks are hard ,water is wet"
    just accept it and move on really ....and look on the bright side ...you learn one chord shape you have a twofer .......

Wicked 's reply sounds right but so does yours and that is what music is about...if it sounds right it is............
    Last edited by CeeJay; 08-10-2014 at 12:11 PM.

I realize that music theory is very helpful when one is playing music, even on the ukulele, and I really wish that I had a more knowledge and understanding of it. Every piece of knowledge I can pick up makes me a better ukulele player, but sadly, I can not wait to absorb it all before I embark on my journey. So for the time being anyway, I'm just going with what I have, and pretending the rest is magic, and just playing whatever comes up when it comes up, without very much understanding of the why. I'm a very accepting person. I'm learning a little along the way though, and that is nice. But the magic is working pretty good as well.
    Last edited by Rllink; 08-10-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

CeeJay, you are absolutely correct. I was gonna tell Wicked that she (must be a woman with a name like that) came the closest to having it right (after me). But it's really stupid. Why have a minor that dosen't sound particularly minor? So I have come to the same conclusion that Rllink, and you both did. It doesn't make much sense, so just get over it. I'm not even gonna bother learning minor (ha!) 7th chords. I really enjoyed this thread though.

What do you mean, ?...pretending the rest is magic?"

Isn't it all magic? Works that way for me.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    What do you mean, ?...pretending the rest is magic?"

Isn't it all magic? Works that way for me.
    Absolutely.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post

The A minor chord is A-C-E (the first, third and fifth notes of the natural A minor scale). If we add the seventh note of the scale (G), then we have Am7 (A-C-E-G).
    Except that I play the Am7 using the notes A-C-F#-G (0302).

I picked up that shape when I played the Em7 chord on guitar (030220)

I think basically, the answer to Dick's question is that the name of the chord varies based on key and progression. There are pieces of music that make note of the Gb chord, as well as the G# chord. There are other pieces that refer to the F# chord and the Ab chord. And they are, of course, the same notes.

As to why some chords are called minor chords, but hav the same shapes and notes as major or 6th chords, it all depends on the way that the music is written - where it is coming from, and where it is going to.

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Wicked summed it up succinctly and well. It's a matter of context.

Thread Information