CA glue pore filling video- first coat

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
First coat of pore filling with CA glue.

Chuck Moore taught me this method years ago- I may be doing it way different to him but this is how I do it. The 2nd and 3rd coats are the same.

OH- music by James Yorkston- "Feathers are Falling"

Last edited:
Until its all totally flat- not to wood (that what I did the first few times many moons ago, as i was used to doing that with oil based filler).

So, ideally, you have a thin layer of ca glue all flat and sanded to 220- if you sand through, just rub more on so its not patchy.

Thanks for the video, Beau. Glad to hear you're ok, Chuck. This CA method looks like the way to go for grain filling. Lacquer over top, or dewaxed shellac then lacquer?

EDIT: thought I was responding in the other thread, where there was some talk of a hurricane hitting the big island...

Lacquer doesn't stick real well to ca glue unless you are sanding only to 220 and relying primarily on a mechanical bond. It's best to use shellac as as "sticker coat".
Starbond EM 150 is what I use for filling. Don't use the thin stuff, EM02, it's useful for other things though. It cost around $30 for one pint. Although they have a website it is informational only, you must call them to place an order. They are very prompt, shipping the same day when possible. Phone number: (1-800) 900 GLUE. Clever, huh?

If you buy directly from Starbond you'll get a whole bunch of empty 2 oz. bottles and pipettes. I often get free samples of other types of glue they carry. (I buy about six bottles at a time though.). Not sure if you get that through Amazon. Note that they also carry odor free ca glue, it's more expensive though. Store larger quantities of ca glue in the fridge. I keep the 2 oz bottles on my bench and have never had them dry up on me. And get their aeresol accelerator, it's the best I've use by far. Better than the liquid kind.

Thanks Chuck. I love the music choice: Like maqic! I'm gonna try it, but I'm doing it outdoors with a respirator...up wind.

This is Beau's video showing my process but my technique is a little different. If you want my handout on how it goes email me: moorebettahukes@aol.com
Or check out my article of the Summer 2014 edition of the GAL magazine.

Beau -Thanks for the video! Do you use an accelerator when pore filling? Chuck mentioned getting some but you didn't show any in the video. I use 2-3 coats of thin CA and an accelerator on most of my wood turnings and then polish off up to 3000 grit - looks like glass, but haven't tried CA on a uke yet. Might try it on my next one.

I don't use accelerator for pore filling- lifes not THAT short! hahahha

I use the thin stuff as a first "coat" (it fills nothing) on BRW as an insurance policy for hairline cracks.

You never want to use accelerator when pore filling except perhaps for the last coat. Even then I never do because as Beau mentioned, what's the hurry? The ca filler coat will dry in about 1/2 hour before you sand with 220 (dry). The problem is that while accelerators are most active for about the first 5 or 10 minutes they can still be somewhat hot for a couple of hours. If you plan on using accelerator after a coat of ca, don't plan on another coat until the next day otherwise the ca glue will remain thicker where you initially applied it. (Again, what would be the point? You're getting the job done in a fraction of what other fillers take.) So, accelerator has no place in ca filling!
And I need to make this point again, lacquer does not adhere to ca glue very well! It's imperative that you use a good sticker coat, like shellac, on top of the ca filler to promote good adhesion.

Top Bottom