He Punahele No Oe (with lyrics, translation, and chords)

Mahalo, Carlton! The Peter Moon Band version is very good!

Beautiful !!! I love hearing songs that are sung in a foreign language. Having the translation is a great idea. It's a very gentle language to my ears!
Congrats on the new arrival to your family. What's her name ?

Mahalo, Ronnie! She's in Japan! Thanks, Julian! Her name is Lulu...

Aloha, is it supposed to be a lullaby? The reason I am asking is because I have heard a version of it at one point which was very much like a lullaby

Last edited:
Hi, Cassie! The only information I could find was that the composer Albert Nahale'a wrote the song for his daughter. I suppose it could be used as a lullaby. I wanted to celebrate the birth of my granddaughter. She'll turn five later this month! Time flies!

Mahalo, Carlton! The Peter Moon Band version is very good!

John, I didn't know that Herman's Hermits did a version of this one... oh... wait... you said Peter Moon... never mind..........

And with that lame attempt at humor, let me say congratulations, and GREAT job on the tune!

Thanks for posting this John. I'm listening to it thinking of learning it for an Aloha set we're prepping to present to a dementia ALF.

Your usual great job matey.
My congrats too to you, your family, and baby Lulu - I welcome her into this miraculous (if sometimes misguided) world of ours. x

EDIT: Oops! I missed her name and therefore thought you'd had another grandchild. Sorry. Little Lulu nearly FIVE?? Crumbs. Don't they grow up quickly nowadays? x

Thanks, Bill! Took me a moment to realize the Herman's Hermits connection! That's funny! I wonder why the group was called Herman's when the lead singer was named Peter?!!

Thanks, Nickie! It's a very pretty and meaningful song, so I think it's worth learning and a lovely part of any Hawaii set.

Thanks, Dave! She still likes to be carried, but I'm afraid she's getting close to the age when that will stop. So I'm treasuring these moments when she's still small. Time does fly too quickly!

Thanks, Brenda! Cassie bumped this thread from five years ago into the present, so I understand the confusion, but I still have one granddaughter. I'm definitely hoping for more grandchildren! :)

Top Bottom