Season 131 - Homecoming

Ringing in Randwick

Sorry I'm a few hours late - I've been working on this song all week, and it represents yet another phase of my life that I remember fondly, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity to finish and share it with you all.

Before my Northern Territory adventures that I wrote about extensively earlier in the thread, I lived for 10 months in Randwick, New South Wales, in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Lovely town, great weather, friendly people. Had a flat in a high-rise 10 minutes uphill from beautiful Coogee Beach. Our flat was on the wrong side of the building for it, but just out front of the building was a beautiful view down the hill toward the beach, with its gorgeous blue ocean, white rocks, green trees, and orange roofed white houses.

We used to walk for hours along those Sydney beaches ... sometimes all the way up to Bondi and back, winding our way along those big rocks overlooking the Pacific.

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Almost certainly the most beautiful place I've ever lived. Except for maybe the other places I lived in Australia. :)

Pabrizzer turned me on to this great song, by the quintessentially Australian Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls. Who knew there was a song that mentions Randwick?!

Interesting story from my first day in Australia, when I had just moved into my new home in Randwick:

I walked the 10 minutes up the hill to Randwick town centre, to buy some things to provision my new home. I was amazed at how incredibly friendly all the Sydneysiders were. I was on such a high by the end of my shopping trip, from meeting all these warm wonderful new friends. I thought, wow, Australia is so much friendlier than the US - what a great place.

Later on, as I talked with Australian friends, pretty much all of whom had toured the US, they all said exactly the opposite .... they had found Americans so much friendlier than Australians.

I then realized something that I believe to be a profound and very useful truth about human existence: It was us, not them!

Others show up as mirrors to how we're being, and what we're projecting and/or expecting.

I was being super friendly and open, excited to be in my new home, boldly and warmly introducing myself to all the people in the shops. So no wonder they responded the same way.

Same for my traveling Australian friends. We behave differently on vacation in an exciting new place than we do at home. So of course they too got a warm reception.

Ever since, I've recognized how much power I have to impact how the world around me shows up. One of the most useful lessons I've ever learned in my adventurous life.

I belong to a FB group called "You Know You Are From Butte America..." I posted my SOTU video up there - pretty positive response. Had never thought of it until someone mentioned it. Don't know if there are similar opportunities for some of the other videos that seasonistas have made.

Guys I'm really sorry! Was expecting a bank holiday with the flat to myself to catch up on the 15 or so videos I've not seen yet but that's not happened!

I will have this wrapped up by the end of the week though, I promise.

I was just walking past what used to be the Coleherne, when I had a Homer Simpson moment: "D'Oh!"

So I've stuck the song I should have done first up over on the Island. It's a naive domestic number without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption

presmptuous%20wine%20cartoon.jpg

Here is a ten minute drunken ramble that should hopefully go some way to sorting the season out. Sorry it took so long.

Could the winners please message me their address? Thanks.

My head is going to hurt in the morning and I've not done the washing up. Louise is going to kill me.

:cheers:

Well you must still be inebriated because I had to visit your youtube channel to watch!

Congrats to the winners and to those honorably mentioned.

Thanks Ryan for a great season:)

Last edited:
Well you must still be inebriated because I had to visit your youtube channel to watch!

Congrats to the winners and to those honorably mentioned.

Thanks Ryan for a great season:)

Oh FFS. Knew I forgot something.

Cheers for grabbing it Wim. Good thing I set it to public.

That was a great season ryan! (Even though I did a boy band song). You were a great host.

Great wrap here- hope ya don't get in too much trouble for the beer. Thanks for the good time mate.

Great Season RAB! I truly enjoyed learning about where folks are from and listening to their hometown songs. And I'm glad you liked Squalor- it was fun setting the scene (luckily we were going to the dump the next day so our trash was all collected in one place and ready to be tossed into the truck). I rather fancy that cardboard hat.:rolleyes:

Ryan I really enjoyed your Season as you could tell, thanks for the call-out, I'm thrilled to bits, and congrats to the winners! Woohoo!

A very fine job of hosting Ryan and good theme for the week. Really enjoyed it! Thank you for the shout out. It means a lot in this sea of seasonista's who are so good :)

Thanks for an inspired theme this week, Ryan.
I'll treasure the quintessentially British Union Jack Mini-Cooper cuff links fortuitously awarded by the fickle finger of fate.
I'll have to find a nice shirt with French cuffs to show them off.

Top Bottom