WTB Kanile'a or Kamaka with slot head.

trowacat

Reaction score
I am looking to buy one of those two K brands with a slot head in a tenor size, if anyone is selling one please let me know! Would be willing to trade along with money as well.

Maybe a Kaniele'a slot head, but you will never find a Kamaka slot head.

I'm aware that it's a long shot, I was really going for the Kaniele'a. I'm doubting I'll get any offers though, might just have to buy new.

Kamaka actually had a slot head tenor at NAMM in January. Not sure if they are offering them yet as a production option but there might be a few custom or deluxe models out there in the wild... maybe?

Yes, but as far as I know, it's not in production yet. And from what I've been told from my local Kamaka dealer, you have to be a pro player and to achieve a level of skill to have a custom Kamaka. The only artist to my knowledge that has Kamaka slot heads are Jake Shimabukuro, Kalei Gamiao, and Bryan Toletino.

Yes, but as far as I know, it's not in production yet. And from what I've been told from my local Kamaka dealer, you have to be a pro player and to achieve a level of skill to have a custom Kamaka. The only artist to my knowledge that has Kamaka slot heads are Jake Shimabukuro, Kalei Gamiao, and Bryan Toletino.

Soooo, what you're saying is that the only chance I have of getting a slotted Kamaka here is if Jayke decides to sell his? ;)

Kamaka will be coming out with slotted headstocks soon....:)

Soooo, what you're saying is that the only chance I have of getting a slotted Kamaka here is if Jayke decides to sell his? ;)

Yes, but I'm sure he'll give it to his son first. I told Aldrine Guerrero himself to sell me his Signature Kanile'a when he's ready. ;)

Yeah, I'd like to know how long I'd have to wait to get one. Boggles my mind they aren't doing it already.

Slotted headstock on one of those babies....not a cheap option!!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

I was drooling over the Kanilea with the slotted headstock, tortoise binding, also considering ebony binding and headstock overlay. Sound hole trim puzzling me though. Ebony and? or Tortoise and?

I was drooling over the Kanilea with the slotted headstock, tortoise binding, also considering ebony binding and headstock overlay. Sound hole trim puzzling me though. Ebony and? or Tortoise and?

I'd leave the sound holes trim to match the rest of the trim. But that's just me, there's really no going wrong with the instrument!

I realize this is a very old thread, but for those still curious, Kamaka will be releasing a slothead model on the standard line, along with their 100th anniversary model next year (or so they say, the slothead model has been delayed for almost 2 years). This is straight from Casey Kamaka. Sorry there aren't a bunch of shots, I kind of just took the picture to show to a friend, but this is the display piece they had at the 2015 Ukulele festival in Hawaii. The purfling and rosette is abalone and the binding is ivoroid tortoiseshell. There is also a concert model with gotoh stealth tuners.
20150719_154536.jpg

I never really understood why there is such a draw for the slot head. Is that just your esthetic preference? (Perfectly fine if it is, just curious.) I find them harder to string up.

I never really understood why there is such a draw for the slot head. Is that just your esthetic preference? (Perfectly fine if it is, just curious.) I find them harder to string up.

If done right it can lighten the head up a good bit and bring the center of balance down toward the belly. I had Kanile'a make me a K5 slothead, which I think is the first slothead that they ever did, and it is easier to play standing up and on a strap for me.

I ended up waiting like 12-13 months for the instrument to be made. I imagine it is quicker now but not completely out of the realm of adding a delay. I am guessing based on the K4 prices it would be 3500$+ done correctly.

Last edited:
That Kamaka slot head sure is pretty...

This from the Uke Review website NAM 2014 coverage.

Kamaka-Booth-2-of-2.jpg

Top Bottom