Ukulele at the beach

Milla

Reaction score
So I'm going to the beach for spring break and I'm curious if the weather or beach will have an affect on my ukulele. Its a flame sprucetop kala Tenor.

Probaly not at this time of the year, kind of mild weather now, but it will be a very high humidity (90+) so if you ar coming from low humidity things will expand also the steel parts on the tuner will rust if you don't wipe them off...(salt air). But, I think at spring break the biggest danger is that someone having a good time steps on it...by accident. Have a great time at the beach!!!

I'll most likely keep it inside. sounds good, thanks!

I brought my Vineyard soprano to Cancun over the New Years holiday and didn't notice any change in tuning, performance, etc. I was alert for it, too, because I live in LA where it's dry and of course Cancun has high humidity.

Admittedly, this Vineyard cost just $70. But it was the best one I had at the time. To your question: it performed well, no problem.

As long as your a good 30 feet from the tide, your A-ok

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll most likely limit my playing to the porch and inside during the evenings. Noone likes a sandy ukulele :)

I live on the east coast and I went to Hawaii for a month and a half this past summer. I was living right by the beach and I never had any issues.

The only thing you might need to worry about is if there are electronics. Salt air will rust it up really fast even if it only exposed for a short period of time. If no electronics, you should be good to go.

This is what CHEAP ukes are for. I wouldn't take a good uke to the beach or a picnic.

Ukantor

put sand in the sound hole

Put it in a case when you're not using it. I've brought a Kamaka to beaches everywhere from Hawai'i to Maine and the worst thing that's happened is a little sand gets inside or my beach-hands temporarily make the fretboard kinda nasty. Keep the fretboard clean and it shouldn't be a big deal.

Doesn't hurt to have a cheaper uke for the beach, though. A Makala or a used Flea can be a great deal and you won't have to worry about it much.

used flea is the way to go..

i bought my used flea (130 of ebay) so that i could...

-play in the car and then just toss it in the back seat
-bring it to school and play for my students
-bring it out at party's to annoy people
-relax on my humida-natzi-ness
-take it to the beach, woods, under water.. okay.. maybe not underwater.. but humm maybe!

i think that for the sound... and the cost.. the best DURABLE UKE.. is the FLEA!! for sure!!

hey.. what is that... oh yeah.. its the moon.. i just found it..

d:cheers:

A flea sounds like a great idea. I was kinda leaning to a Risa solid uke for traveling, but I don't know how loud they are un amped. I also quite enjoy the unique sound of fleas. Thanks again for the help everyone.

This is what CHEAP ukes are for. I wouldn't take a good uke to the beach or a picnic.
Plus when you're done playing a cheap uke you can take the strings off and use it as a floating cup holder.

A flea sounds like a great idea. I was kinda leaning to a Risa solid uke for traveling, but I don't know how loud they are un amped. I also quite enjoy the unique sound of fleas. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Solidbody ukes are close to silent when unplugged; they can't be heard in another room or over the waves/wind at the beach. Nice for quiet practice, but if you want to play for others without carrying an amp, the Flea is probably a better choice.

...Noone likes a sandy ukulele :)

http://www.geocities.com/keonikapila/PICT0018.JPG
Rain, shine, rocks, sand, day or night this uke's been practically living at the beach for the last 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it...(this uke deserves better than "beach-uke" status, but this is the cheapest uke I own--making it "the beater" by default)

My old beach uke was a cheap Kauwela, the tuners started getting rusty pretty quick...but if you make sure to wipe your uke down at the end of the day (the whole thing, not just the metal parts-some finishes don't react all that well to salt), you shouldn't have a problem

I brought an Ovation Applause UAE20 to the Philippines last November and played it on pontoon boat traveling through 100 Islands, then through the humidity of Tarlac, Baguio, down to Antipolo City and it still plays sweet. Ric

I take my uke down to florida a lot, and haven't had any problems. However, I have had huge problems taking papers down there. They turn into absolute mush in the humidity. So if you bring sheet music, it will start to feel a little damp after a while. My parents have to keep pretty much everything in plastic bags in the cupboard.

You know though, pianos, even though they are kept inside, that are close to the ocean feel all sticky to play, so I bet that happens with the uke too. You could end up with a little saltiness on your strings, but nothing to hard to wipe off.

Top Bottom