Have you ever purchased a uke based on looks alone?

I didn't know there was any other way. I always buy for looks. What else is there? A ukulele is a ukulele. They all play the same notes. Even when I went to Elderly Instruments, I hardly touched the ukuleles. I just looked and said "I'll take that cedar baritone." And when I ordered a bespoke ukulele from a luthier, I just specified what look I wanted it to have and I left all the other aspects of it to the craftsmanship of the builder.

Right on! I agree whole heartedly. :eek:ld:

When I can do it, I prefer to play the ukulele for myself - sound, feel, etc.

However, I do purchase online (Ebay) and most of those purchases are based
on what the uke looks like.

That's how I now have an Ohana Willow soprano on its way. I'm going by brand
reputation so I hope it sounds good to me.

I recently tried purchasing 2 Koloa Concerts on Ebay since I had such good success
with a couple of Koloa Sopranos. However, although offered by 2 sellers, each had
to inform me that they cancelled the orders because they did not have the ukes on
hand. That was OK. It got me thinking about the made in Mexico Martin CK1.

Then, last night, local luthier Kerry Bannister showed me a concert uke he had built from
1800s Mahogany and it sounded so good I asked him to lower the action, apply a
couple of transparent strum guards (my thumb and index fingernails are rough on the
upper bouts of my ukes). If all goes well, I should have the uke in hand
tonight! Yay!

as an aside, I've been looking for the ONE Uke to rule them All, and I think I'm coming
to the realization that I may actually need TWO Ukes as co-Regents to rule the Kingdom :)
that said, I'll be looking for a double-tennis racket bag to hold both so I can have a
reentrant Soprano and a low-G Concert for gigs and lessons and song circles :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
the one I've ordered is all Willow laminate. Very striking appearance as the grain is very pronounced!
I also like the look of the Ginko grain and the color of the Padauk and Colobolo.

Anyway, with the coming of the Mahogany Concert, I think my UAS has to be on hold for a while.

I know, and thank you all for wishing me "Good Luck!" on that one :)

keep uke'in',

I didn't know there was any other way. I always buy for looks. What else is there? A ukulele is a ukulele. They all play the same notes. Even when I went to Elderly Instruments, I hardly touched the ukuleles. I just looked and said "I'll take that cedar baritone."

If they all sounded the same, I'd only choose to have one baritone and one tenor. The three tenors I have could not possibly sound more different from one another, or feel more different to play. I enjoy the variety of voices. I've bought them all online and pre-owned, but not without studying as many sound samples as I could first.

There was only one time that I was moved to look up more about an instrument based on its looks, or to be specific, the type and pattern of the wood that was used on the back and sides. In that case, when I expressed interest, the seller was gracious enough to make a specific video for me, giving me a closer look as well as sound samples, which ultimately convinced me to buy it. But the sound is what makes or breaks a deal, as far as I'm concerned.

I buy paintings to hang on the wall and look nice. I buy ukuleles to play music.
This.:agree:

bratsche

Kinda, sorta. That got me to pick it up. It was beautiful. Then I strummed it and was knocked for a loop. No bling, just a really pretty reddish koa wood. And a neck so thin, it warped. UGH!

Normally I play the instrument before I purchase it. There have been exactly three that I did not play, or even see (the exact one) that I purchased.
My Mainland Gecko, I bought as a factory second to re-finish myself. It was inexpensive, and really just a goof so no need to try before I bought it. I still have it.
My Epiphone Les Paul I bought just for the looks alone. I played one at Guitar Center, knew it did not sound that great, but sill bought one anyway. Only they did not have the "Vintage" color in stock, only the "Cherry" so I had them order one and drop-ship it to my door. You know what? I really like it. I play it quite often. I just got lucky on that one? Who knows. I paid less than $100 for it and it has given me at least that much enjoyment.
My Purple Kamoa GC-700 tiger maple concert.
I wanted one from the first time I saw one.
I played an example at a festival and liked it well enough.
Ordered one online sight unseen.
When I received it, it had some QC issues, but played well and sounded nice. I just never really bonded with it fully.
I wanted to like it so much, I kept it for a few years, but when the opportunity arose for me to purchase a Compass Rose, I sold it to help defray the expense.
I sold it for roughly half of what it cost new.

Like someone posted earlier, if it were an ukulele brand I knew well like Ko`olau or Moore Bettah or LFdM or Beau Hannam, I would have no reservations buying based on a photo.
Everything else, I think I would still want to play it first.

I generally purchase based on trying the ukulele first, or reviews (KoAloha), or personal experience with the builder (Fred Shields). But my first tenor (Keith Ogata) was more about the way it looked, conversations with Keith, and having something few people would know about. It turned out to be my most played ukulele, but not without some degree of tweaking.

The one ukulele I bought purely on looks was for my wife. It was a Kala cedar/koa concert with abolone purfling, rosette, and headstock trim that was for sale on the Marketplace. My wife had talked about learning to play and that ukulele definitely had the looks. My wife plays occasionally and it was perfect for her... I did show her the posted pictures before buying it.

John

I buy after listening to sound samples and reading reviews. If it looks extra pretty, that's nice, but I buy them to play, and don't pay attention to the looks when I'm playing.

I actually don't particularly like the looks of one of my ukuleles, but love playing it. I bought it knowing I wouldn't be looking at it much, but with the expectation that I would enjoy the sound and feel of it, which I do.

Looking at my ukes, I guess I bought these for the way they look. The Fender 52 and the Mahalo surfboard electric actually sound ok. The Mahalo USA not so good.image1.jpg

This is the uke that inspired this thread, a Kala KA-ZCT-C. (Ziricote laminate front, back and sides. Walnut fretboard and a satin finished neck which I love and wish I had it on my other ukes.) I couldn't resist it!

IMG_2780.jpgIMG_2778.jpg

backpacker.jpg
I'm waiting for Fred Shields to build my concert mahogany backpacker - order based on looks and all the folks here who rave about Mr. Shields work.

This is the uke that inspired this thread, a Kala KA-ZCT-C. (Ziricote laminate front, back and sides. Walnut fretboard and a satin finished neck which I love and wish I had it on my other ukes.) I couldn't resist it!
I would have done the same.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Top Bottom