Season 354: THE SHOCK OF THE NEW(ish)

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
The Shock of the New(ish)

What can we play I hear you say
A wassailing song from a distant day?
About a lad and his love for an Olde Oak Door
Written in December 1834

Perhaps the Jazz Age Is more your thing?
Daisys and Gatsbys on a four string fling
Even us slaves rowing in life’s galley
Deserve us a little Tin Pan Alley

Frankie Forties claims ‘all bands are big”
And every crooner deserves a gig
That was until 1955
When the Devil’s music came alive
“I’ve come” he whispered “to collect my toll
Kiddies play me some rock and roll”

Of the Sixties you may dig a relic
Of the genus – Hippie Psychedelic
A must for the musical Attenborough
To make their songbook a tad more thorough

It was 71 when Granny dropped the kettle
And cried out “Johnny its Heavy Metal!”
A few years later I was sailing in a junk
Powered by an angry punk
Police yelled ‘Stop, you have no rowlocks’
I laughed and scoffed “Never mind the Bollocks!”

In the 80’s I became no wiser
And my Fender got beat up by a synthesizer
A decade later it came back to battle
Kurtesy of the Bain of Seattle

Now what can we play, what do we love?
Sorry folks it’s– NONE OF THE ABOVE
So salute me now with your best palm frond
With ditties from 2000 and beyond

So people to translate that bit of doggerel for you .This week you can only play songs written/or first recorded in the year 2000 or later. By any artist - with one caveat. If you play more than two songs then after that the next song must be a 2000 plus song from one of the artists listed below.
Here’s a list of good songwriters I like - very active since the year 2000.

Damien Rice, Sufjan Stevens, Neko Case, Tallest Man on Earth, Gillian Welch, Jeffery Foucault, Glen Hansard, Bill Callahan aka Smog, Will Oldham aka Bonnie Prince Billy,
Jose Gonzalez, Joanna Newsome, Jenny Lewis, Lambchop, Andrew Bird, Ryan Adams, Bon Iver, The Mountain Goats, Iron and Wine, Lisa Hannigan, The Decemberists, The Avett Brothers, Jason Isbell, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Justin Townes Earle, Ray Lamontagne, Nick Cave, Ed Kuepper, Paul Kelly, Milk Carton Kids, Dave Rawlings.

So you could play a post 2000 U2 then a Beyonce(??!!). But for your third you must do one from the list. After that any artist is ok again- as long as it’s a post 2000.
So in summary 19 years of songs to pick from.2000-2018.- no thematic restrictions .Any artist.(see above caveat). .

Originals are welcome. The title of the season is a riff on a book/documentary series of the 80’s called “The Shock of the New”. It was a series about modern art. All originals must contain a reference in title or lyrics to modern art-.Artists , Art works, Movements etc.
The definition of modern art is broad. from 1860 to the present.(talking drawing, painting, sculpture)

All usual rules apply. Prizes? Probably.. No song limit yet…may change.

To quote Nick Cave “Dig, Lazarus ,Dig”. Have fun. First time hosting for me .I may not be as attentive as many of you good people .But I’ll try my best within life's constraints.

Cheers
John
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBJ_WKUxx2a0HTeJfwdJz7Y2oNkeXjyub

Will update Playlist later.Just one private video currently.

Great theme to kick off your hosting duties John. I remember enjoying that Robert Hughes series too. Think it’s still around in full on YouTube somewhere or other :)

Great theme to kick off your hosting duties John. I remember enjoying that Robert Hughes series too. Think it’s still around in full on YouTube somewhere or other :)

Ha thanks mate! And can I point out you don't have to be named John to participate...but so far it helps:).

Great idea John. Thanks for hosting, I think you’ll have a lot of fun.

If we make it to the 3rd, is it still only music recorded/released in 2000 or more recently, even if the band/artist has older recordings? E.g Wilco is on your list, but their 1st album was released in 1996. Jenny Lewis similar I think. Thanks.

Great idea John. Thanks for hosting, I think you’ll have a lot of fun.

If we make it to the 3rd, is it still only music recorded/released in 2000 or more recently, even if the band/artist has older recordings? E.g Wilco is on your list, but their 1st album was released in 1996. Jenny Lewis similar I think. Thanks.

Yes Andy...only post 2000.Lots on that list have earlier recordings but I only want post 2000.

Oh and I was remiss to mention.Plenty of time to visit another city in UV's Strummer in the city.

great theme! my musical mind is usually stuck in the 70s and 80s, it'll be good to get a little bit more up to date!

Reading your "doggerel" - great stuff - I was all set to go 1920s! Are we in the 21st Century? Oh, dear ... this is going to be challenging, but fun. Great theme, John!

Hi John -

This is one that I recorded a while back for a separate (non-Season) Mountain Goats collection. Still love love love this one.

Avett Brothers.Someone mentioned this on the Strummer in the city season...jogged my memory.

Phew, this one just creeps in under the bar - released in 2001 on some editions of Ryan Adams' "Gold" album.

OK - here's another - spent some time on it today - because I really like the song despite what I've done to it - but my first take made my wife laugh out loud and I think I may have torn a tonsil - I did it on the guitalele (5 semitones higher) because the extra strings made the accompaniment sound better imho - but the vocal leap was downright painful and had the neighbourhood dogs covering their ears in pain.
So you get the baritone uke version -

Don't panic John I won't be bringing two everyday.....

I only know one song from this century is a line I often use at Open Mics...... because it's true!
I'll recorded it in the car park tomorrow night unless I do decide to go out tonight to an OM and I'll try for a live recording.

I'm just back from a long car trip, and I'm feeling it, so this song fits me well at the moment. It's a Jim Lauderdale song from 2018, off his new "Time flies" CD. Been wanting to try it anyhow. Very quick work up here, wanted to do this in one take, but screwed up, so this is the 2nd take. This song reminds me of "Where the sidewalk end", which Lauderdale wrote, and then later was famously recorded by George Strait, and was in the "Pure Country" movie soundtrack.

For Season 354 of the Ukulele, we're asked to play songs written after the year 2000. Here's Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe", for baritone ukulele with singing and whistling, and overdubs of Ubass, keyboard, and secondary vocal.

So nine days out of hip replacement surgery I’m able to walk about 10 -15 minutes, Still icing down, but range of motion is amazing, and nearly pain free (esp. compared to before surgery).
I arrived in Portland four years ago, but now I have truly reached my destiny as an artificial hipster.

Top Bottom