What is the best way to acclimatise a new ukulele with humidity difference?

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
Just received my ukulele back from the luthier after some mods.

I have just checked the humidity in the case and it's 70% whereas my home is around 40%

I've left it in the case, but would I like to know of the best way to acclimatise it to 40% without anything splitting.

need some clarification......was it built at 70, lived at 40, repaired at 70 now back home at 40? If that's the case, I'd say it can handle the 30 percent swing.....will likely adjust naturally over a few weeks.....30 percent swing is about the maximum I would allow on my instruments....

I'd follow the Martin Guitars policy they paste on their boxes. I believe they suggest leaving it in the box it arrives in at home for 24 hours before opening it.

I'd follow the Martin Guitars policy they paste on their boxes. I believe they suggest leaving it in the box it arrives in at home for 24 hours before opening it.
Sounds like it might be too late for that. I would stick a humidifier in the case with it and let it find its own way. I would think that the humidifier would allow it to make the transition slowly. I'm just using my own common sense though, I'm not an expert on the subject.

In don't think that the Pono or KoAloha would be happy in the long term at 40%, and I assume that it's so low now because of heating. I would humidify them until environmental humidity in the spring is at 50% or higher.

My house is quite dry, but my ukes have their own sauna.
Hanging.jpg

Hanging.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I have got a humidity gauge in the case, so I will let stay in there until it gets down to 45/50% then let it settle.

All my other ukuleles live happily in my house, I've read the 40% to 50% is ideal.

Humidity outside is 60% at the moment, so I don't know how it was 70% when it arrived.

Unless I'm getting confused with "units"

Thanks for the replies.

I have got a humidity gauge in the case, so I will let stay in there until it gets down to 45/50% then let it settle.

All my other ukuleles live happily in my house, I've read the 40% to 50% is ideal.

Humidity outside is 60% at the moment, so I don't know how it was 70% when it arrived.

Unless I'm getting confused with "units"

With a hard case you can crack open the lid just a bit. This will allow the higher humidity level inside the case to slowly equalize with your lower house humidity level

70%-40%? No need. Open it up and play it.

Top Bottom