what do you sit on?

I use a folding stool, similar to the one Jerry had a WalMart link to, however I bought it at Target. For performances I mostly stand.

As long as the surface is relatively flat and my feet touch the ground, I will make anything my seat.

The key with any seat is to be able to sit up straight, with your butt just barely on the chair or whatever (i.e., literally sitting on the edge of your seat). It forces not just good posture, but also makes things like breathing fluidly (not something we really talk about here) very easy, which in turn makes playing easier, at least for me.

As always, yumv.

Mainly, I sit on the end of my bed, else on a wooden stool by my computer, (when recording for the Seasons thread), occasionally, an arm chair, (but it has to be a concert or long neck soprano).

That certainly would not work for me. If I lie down anywhere I go to sleep, sitting up sometimes too.

Ahhh, the Golden Years . . . :eek:ld:

Me too. I sat down in a lawn chair after mowing the lawn yesterday afternoon and took a little snooze. But I can't understand why someone would have to sit there for an hour or two and couldn't stand up and move around a little if their butt got a little sore. Even our strumming group takes a ten minute stretch in the middle. I think someone just wants to buy something, wink wink. ;)

I have a Quik Lok DX749 Deluxe Seat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FJXGU4 ) for any extended playing.

I've set up the Quik Lok so it supports well and encourages sitting straight. In my other music room I mostly play standing up.

I can get away with the sofa or sitting on the bed or whatever for a while with a ukulele, but large & heavier instruments (guitar & bass) hurt pretty quickly if I'm not careful about posture.

At longer workshops I'll switch between sitting and standing rather than trying to sit in a poor chair for hours on end.

That looks super nice. But $300 :eek:
$300 would be eating into my Uke money :)

I'd love to get something like that if I could find one kinda similar, and way way more affordable.
I just use my computer chair at the moment. Although I do have a bar stool for when I play guitar.

I have a uke beside my computer that I use to play along with Youtube videos. . . I sit on a pressed back chair for this. I also have a uke beside my recliner that I use to amuse myself during commercials while watching TV (or during the program if I want to piss off Maggie). Since I have straps on my ukes, I often walk around while playing.

I tend to sit on the forward edge of a firm surface while keeping my feet planted on the floor and my knees at a lower height than my pelvis. As YogiTom noted, this aligns the posture for ease of breath support and grounding, both of which can be important in the performance arts. Toward this end, I tend to prefer relatively firm and high-seated non-backed stools, but I'll tolerate a low-backed stool so long as the seat base can be raised high enough.

For certain numbers, I hover my feet over my pedal board to actuate and alter various effects or stand to prance around a bit to add some flair and variety.

I agree moving around and stretching are best. Although, if you are like me and on your feet lifting things all day, up and down stairs and then possibly a gym sesh... A comfortable seat is very nice.

I don't have any special furniture designated for playing my ukes or mandolas. Usually I'm either in my office chair or on the patio lounger, and more often than not I'm sitting cross-legged, just because it's comfortable.

bratsche

Come late to this ... I mainly sit on the bed. Mind you, I don't generally hang around too long!

I have this exact stool at church. When I joined the band, they had a few wooden stools, but they were a little too tall for me. I have bad knees, and having my feet flat on the floor when sitting is important. I sit on it during our rehearsal before church service, and in between songs during the service. When we play, I'm standing. I'm not sure how I'd like it for long term seating during a uke jam or performance. Plus I'd be sitting up a little higher than the others in my group which might be a problem???

I have an old metal folding chair that I usually bring for performances, but it's heavy & not easy to carry.

You and I are the same. My feet dangle on most chairs which really hurts my knees. I don't practice long periods of time (I should) but I'm generally on the couch with my legs curled up.
Most chairs are too damned tall, but these are some good ideas to try. I may go home and try a stability ball. No back support, but it will be short enough.

That looks super nice. But $300 :eek:
$300 would be eating into my Uke money :)
Only $150 right now and frequently drops further.

I think of it less as money that could be used for another uke than as money (and pain) that isn't paid to my physical therapist

I got this chair in the before-time when there weren't any ukes in the house, and when my back was giving me enough problems that I couldn't play a guitar standing up. Worth every penny to be able to play without causing myself further damage!

Only $150 right now and frequently drops further.

I think of it less as money that could be used for another uke than as money (and pain) that isn't paid to my physical therapist

I got this chair in the before-time when there weren't any ukes in the house, and when my back was giving me enough problems that I couldn't play a guitar standing up. Worth every penny to be able to play without causing myself further damage!

When I go to the link it says that 1 unit is $297.25

I ordered a set of these earlier this week.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07239Q6WN/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The street market where we play stopped providing chairs, so I needed something. We'll see how these work.
At home, I usually sit on the sofa. In my home office, I take the bench from our keyboard. Arm chairs just don't work for me. Too confining.
Ooooh, this might be just the ticket. It's the right height, and I like the flat front edge.

I have a wooden stool I sometimes sit on, but it is not super comfy.

Otherwise i sometimes stand up with the uke on a strap, sometimes sit on the couch or in a bean bag chair.

Since the original post, I have been exploring different seats. The seats that have me leaning back some, like kitchen and dining chairs and sofas, are not comfortable for any extended playing. I believe this is due to forcing my arms and shoulders to "lift" more away from my body and away from a vertical position. I found a drafting chair without arm rests in storage and that kept me upright and much more comfortable for playing. But it was old with maintenance issues and it had me looking down too far at my music stand.

I finally settled on purchasing a Roc n Soc Nitro throne (designed for drummers) from Guitar Center. After a few days of liking it. I purchased the optional back. It is comfortable and puts me in a vertical playing position. Only downside is that I can possibly tip over backwards if leaning back with the new back since the base is a triangle. It has been worth the purchase price for something that I might be using one to three hours per day.

untitled-508-3.jpg

Attachments

• untitled-508.jpg
    untitled-508.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Top Bottom