FS: Collings UC1 Concert Ukulele with Original Collings Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
FS: Collings UC1 Custom Concert Ukulele SOLD

.-=[SOLD]=-. The ukulele has found a new home!

This beautiful and rare Collings UC1 was completed on July 7th, 2011 and was sold by the legendary Umanov Guitars in New York.

Fun fact: Bill Collings received a collection of vintage Martin ukuleles from Matt Umanov that he kept in his office and used as inspiration.

What makes this ukulele extra special/rare, is that according to Collings, this is the only UC1 that was ever made with binding and a heel cap.

With solid Honduran mahogany top, back and side wood, the UC1 is undoubtedly one of the finest professional concert ukes available in its price range.

The ukulele is setup with a very nice action, plays great, and sounds fantastic!

The ukulele and case have been kept in a smoke free and humidity-controlled environment.

Ukulele and case are both in excellent condition. I believe that the only thing keeping the ukulele from looking brand new is that the finish has obtained a light gloss from handling (which will happen with any satin finish instrument). Please see photos.

Label is signed by the late great Bill Collings.

$1499 includes insured CONUS shipping.

00.jpg
05.jpg
04.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know the story of why this one is bound?
Was it a special order from Umanov?

Do you know the story of why this one is bound?
Was it a special order from Umanov?

Yes, I do know the story of why it was bound. No, it was not a special order from Matt.

The uke was actually bound by mistake. During the building process it was mistaken as a UC2 and thus it was bond.

From what I have gathered, it was offered to Matt as a cool one-off because Bill and Matt were friends, and Matt is a Collings dealer.

I forgot. I will also include the warranty card. I know that some folks like to have them

IMG_20191118_134428.jpg

Yes, I do know the story of why it was bound. No, it was not a special order from Matt.

The uke was actually bound by mistake. During the building process it was mistaken as a UC2 and thus it was bond.

From what I have gathered, it was offered to Matt as a cool one-off because Bill and Matt were friends, and Matt is a Collings dealer.

We'll, that's a nice history. :)

Remarkable how these have increased in value beyond the original sale price in 2012.
I can't think of any post 2000 ukes where that is the case...

We'll, that's a nice history. :)

Remarkable how these have increased in value beyond the original sale price in 2012.
I can't think of any post 2000 ukes where that is the case...

I don't know if they have really increased in value. I think that they have held their value better than some other ukuleles out there. I believe that the original list price on these (without the binding) was $1600. The non-negotiable street price on the new limited release ukuleles is $1950.

That being said... I do expect that since these are no longer being made (except for the recent very limited release of new ones), the fact that Bill has passed away, the fact that labels on the recent limited batch are not signed by Bill (this makes a difference to some), and the fact that the recent limited release ukes have a non-negotiable street price of $1950, that the "Bill era" ukuleles will definitely be increasing in value.

Sent you a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom