::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

6zgi5wb.jpg

There used to be a restaurant here in our "town center" in the apartment complex. Several people ran it over the years, but apparently nobody could make it work. There are too few people here through the summer to support it. The place has been closed for three years, now.

Recently a group of residents got permission from the board of directors to open the place as a cafe. Coffee, donuts, and the like in the morning, and lunches, cakes, pies and ice cream in the afternoon.

The whole operation will be non-profit, and run by resident volunteers. The response from the community has been amazing. Over the past couple of months they have come together to clean up and decorate the place, which had been in awful condition. The last operator had just turned off the stoves and fryers and locked the doors and walked away. The fryers had three year old used grease in them!

The place is now spotlessly clean, bright, warm and inviting. Everything has been cleaned and painted, the floors refinished, curtains hung, anything to make the place nice.

The board of directors was so impressed by the effort and the results that they essentially gave us a blank check to get whatever we needed to make it happen; five new ceiling fans, new light fixtures, some professional plumbing and electrical work, and who knows what else.

Today is the grand opening at 12:30. You get coffee, soda, tea or water and a dessert (cake or pie) for $5. I think that's a great deal, especially since the drinks have free refills.

I'm expecting lots of community support. I imagine the volunteers will have trouble keeping up with the crowds....

Just discovered I can’t type on a keyboard with the cut on my fingertip ( I’ve been using my iPad)

Let's see... Is tea a less formal meal, with dinner being more formal and served about noonish? If that's the case then where I grew up the evening meal was "supper" and the fancy noon meal was dinner. Informal noon meal was lunch.

Nothing formal about either meal. What some call lunch we call dinner. Lunch is a posh word. And it can be anything. Our meals go breakfast, dinner and tea. Supper is usually a posh person's thing. We might have an evening snack or what have you, but nothing is formal if you're working class.

bandages reconfigured and thinner. Let's see how typing goes now. Not too bad, just a bit sore because my cut is right on the fingertip

Just remembered that I'm on blood thinners for the ticker.

Could explain all the bleeding when I cut it.

Have a good day hos

Off to lesson plan for the week. Sub plans too. I have to be in Anaheim for a conference on thurs/fri.

We cooked a turkey breast this year, but because I love the dark meat, we looked for turkey thighs, too. No such luck. Why would there not be legs or thighs available? Every turkey that got cut up for turkey breasts had two legs, right? Where are they hiding all of those turkey legs?

Renaissance Faires and Disney Parks.

Yesterday was my extended family gathering. It went into the wee hours, the last guest went home at noon today. Tonight was my schools holiday party. We went to Midieval Times and had a blast. Tomorrow is sleep day. I’m exhausted. Three days of big gatherings is just too much fun. We have tons of leftovers so I don’t have to cook for a few days. I might put up the tree.

Midieval Times, another place cornering the market on turkey legs.

We bought a few strings of lights to replace the lights that are not working well yesterday. I intend to get them on the house today.
The sun is shining though, so that may change :D

James love Medieval Times but its so expensive for what you get.

Sally, our guy has won the last two out three times we've been there. :)

Top Bottom