Review: Peripole Classic Tenor Ukulele by Enya (EUT-200A)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Peripole is one of the music education specialty stores in the US, although they do sell to everyone, and there are discounts for registering with them--and even greater discounts for music educators.

They have developed a relationship with Enya to be the sole educational vendor for Enya products. At this time, that means selling the Enya Nova and the EUT-200A, which they are calling the Peripole Classic Ukulele.

I have owned and played a lot of Enya instruments over the years and it is a brand that I can wholeheartedly recommend to beginners. I have not played any of their mid-level ukuleles, but would expect the same attention to detail they place in their entry level ukuleles.

The Peripole Classic Tenor is a standard Enya Laminate, and it is louder than any other Enya laminate (regular or HPL) that I have played. That doesn't mean it is off the scale in terms of volume, but it can hold its own...and it sound lovely. And of course, it comes with that wonderful kit of stuff, even if you don't use the capo or fingershaker.

In music education, we often have to buy from an approved vendor--and Peripole is one of those vendors in most places. It is nice to have Enya as a choice.

Since their introduction, Enya has been holding true to their own pricing (making exceptions from time to time for Amazon stock, etc.). I'm not seeing any Enya tenor that is less expensive than the Peripole Classic, especially with the discount added on (even though you do have to factor shipping into the mix).

So...absolutely recommended as a choice for a beginner, or for schools, although I'd recommend the concert kit for most schools.

One Minute Ukulele Review of the instrument follows the full "UkeGuide" review.

Nice to see Peripole getting a mention on the Forum. They are nice folks. Their office and warehouse are less than an hour from where I live, so I was able to visit them in person when I was interested in buying a KoAloha ukulele several years ago. Happy me, I came home with a wonderful koa concert that day. They even gave me a “walk-in” discount. Went back the following year to buy my acacia Opio. If it wasn’t for Peripole, I would never have had the opportunity to play a high quality uke before purchasing it — something I consider essential when spending that kind of money.

Nice to see Peripole getting a mention on the Forum. They are nice folks.

The folks at Enya Music also seemed ready to help and responded quickly to me in the past.

Chris mentioned in the video that the uke might have a slight radius. According to Eric at Enya Music "All Enya ukes come with the same fretboard radius of 19.6 inches." That is a slight radius, but for me it's slightly better than no radius.

The folks at Enya Music also seemed ready to help and responded quickly to me in the past.

Chris mentioned in the video that the uke might have a slight radius. According to Eric at Enya Music "All Enya ukes come with the same fretboard radius of 19.6 inches." That is a slight radius, but for me it's slightly better than no radius.

Ed, I appreciate that! I didn’t want to pull the strings to check! I’m glad my perception wasn’t wrong!

Choirguy, I wanted to thank you for the great review on this - and all of your reviews. I hadn't dabbled in the uke world for at least 6 years ago (life, kids, moving, new job, etc) but when I decided to get back in, your site led me to purchase one of these.

Peripole was easy to order from and, as you suggested, registered to get the discount. The entire thing cost me maybe $80 shipped. I was incredibly pleased when it arrived. The cost to quality ratio is outstanding. Just to give myself a choice, I had also ordered a solid top mahogany Aklot from Amazon. It arrived first and I liked it, then the Enya arrived and there was just no comparison. The Aklot was serviceable enough, but the Enya just felt good in the hands. Excellent level of detail and finish to the entire thing. And the kit of stuff is high quality and useful.

Sound? To my amateur ear, all I could say is that when strummed the Enya just sang. I asked my wife for her opinion and she said the Enya just sounded like a good musical instrument.

So, very happy and I'm a month or two in and working my way through James Hill's Booster Uke online and progressing nicely.

Thanks!

Choirguy, I wanted to thank you for the great review on this - and all of your reviews. I hadn't dabbled in the uke world for at least 6 years ago (life, kids, moving, new job, etc) but when I decided to get back in, your site led me to purchase one of these.

Peripole was easy to order from and, as you suggested, registered to get the discount. The entire thing cost me maybe $80 shipped. I was incredibly pleased when it arrived. The cost to quality ratio is outstanding. Just to give myself a choice, I had also ordered a solid top mahogany Aklot from Amazon. It arrived first and I liked it, then the Enya arrived and there was just no comparison. The Aklot was serviceable enough, but the Enya just felt good in the hands. Excellent level of detail and finish to the entire thing. And the kit of stuff is high quality and useful.

Sound? To my amateur ear, all I could say is that when strummed the Enya just sang. I asked my wife for her opinion and she said the Enya just sounded like a good musical instrument.

So, very happy and I'm a month or two in and working my way through James Hill's Booster Uke online and progressing nicely.

Thanks!

I'm very glad that the Peripole experience was a good one--they do a very good job of taking care of their customers in music education. And I have nothing but praise for Enya.

If anyone buys from Peripole...do register for the account and that discount. Otherwise, the price doesn't seem as competitive as it really is.

I like Aklot, too, and have a special one coming next week (unboxing will be posted the second week of November).

Thanks again for the feedback...very much appreciated, and best wishes to you as you progress on your musical journey!

Thanks for the review. There is a 20 dollar coupon amazon.ca so it works out to be 80 Canadian for me as well. I just ordered...

Top Bottom