Season #465 ~ 2nd Chances

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!

Forgive me for posting so late. I lost track and thought I was hosting next week, which I was surprised to see does not have a host yet. Hopefully someone will step up and grab that slot. I generally tend to go with really broad themes, as I've found myself more than a few times wanting to participate in a season, but struggling to find something that fits the theme. And this week will again be really broad :) Here are a few ideas to get you started:

1) The obvious starting point is to do songs that refer to getting a 2nd chance, taking advantage of a second chance etc. Maybe comparing experiences of innocence versus having more experience under your belt. Maybe being the one giving someone else a 2nd chance . . .

2) Any song that mentions either 2nd or chance . . .

3) I'm giving you a second chance to go back to 2020 and do any song you'd planned or wanted to do for any season but did not have the time to get it done. Here's a link to the seasons thread so you can review all the seasons from 2020: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...51#post2251251 . . .

4) Original songs can be about the main theme here or any of the 52 Seasons from 2020 . . .

The usual rules apply, but i'm always willing to bend the rules regarding instrument of choice to include tenor guitars, guitaleles, etc. No Song Limits. Feel free to ask if you're unsure about anything.

Here's the playlist ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58uRTySdbu8&list=PL5FgrFq3aYVe72a8bZcwJUviSb6GD44qU

Ryan's " Birthday Honours" season is still going on through Sunday so hopefully he'll see some more submissions before his season comes to a close ~

Last edited:
Excellent idea Kev - Thanks for hosting!

If you find yourself overwhelmed, I’m available to do next Saturday’s open mic

Thanks Brian! If you want to plan on doing that now, let's go with that. I'll do everything I can to make it next Saturday, but I'll likely have my hands full this week, so it would be great if you don't mind ~

Great theme Kev! Can just about squeeze a song I wanted to do today in as well!

A lovely broad theme, Kev!

There are a couple of songs that I practiced last year, but didn't manage to learn within the week.
I hope I can manage to finish one or two of those this week :)

This would have fitted a few seasons last year including 429, artists no longer with us.

Thanks for the second chance for Christmas, Kevin! I changed the key of this to put a totally different spin on it.

Hello, Kev! I'm going for the first alternative here ... a very cheesy, but encouraging, song for anyone who is in the process of being given a second chance; this is dedicated to you! (I guess we all deserve to be given a second chance ... although, in my case, it's probably FAR too late!)

David Bowie fits in to a number of themes from last year, and regardless, on the fifth anniversary of his death there's only one song I'm going to play today.

Spent all day playing around with ProTools and PowerDirector, it's been fun if frustrating at times.

Ahoy and great theme.
Back in s.456 I had an idea that I did not go through with - and now I have a second chance.
Here are two songs that, for some reason, are often mashed-up in my brain.

P.s.
Why does this happen when trying to post on 4G (not VPN'ed)? Forcing me to connect to my wifi (which is VPN'ed).
Screenshot_20210110-194005_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Brian Eno's "Dead Finks Don't Talk" for concert ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ashbory ubass and secondary vocals.

This is my second chance, albeit I'm slightly Thornton-ing this one in, at BEVOMU's Bryan Ferry season. Anyone listening to the song knows it's making fun of his ex-Roxy Music bandmate Bryan Ferry, except Eno, apparently, until it was pointed out to him:

Eno initially denied the song was directed at Ferry, pointing out the album's lyrics were all randomly generated.
"Dead Finks Don’t Talk is the most randomly generated of my songs. I wrote the lyrics at home with my girlfriend with a cassette of the backing track from the studio. I sang whatever came into my mind as the song played through ... (Producer) Chris Thomas said, ‘you’ll get me shot for that track. It’s obviously about Bryan.’ So I listened back to it and it obviously was. It was certainly something I hadn’t realised."

from http://bongojazz.blogspot.com/2008/03/dead-finks-dont-talk-brian-eno-1973.html

Last edited:
Hey, Kevin!

Thanks for hosting. I'm almost certainly going to take advantage of option 3 at some point. I've got a couple of songs that I had lined up for seasons that I missed so I'm looking forward to a second bite at the proverbial cherry...

In the meantime, here's a Teenage Fanclub song that sits squarely in option 1...

thank you for hosting the week Kev.
a song that would have fit week 429.
Rabbit Brown.

About forty years ago, my first marriage was ending and this seemed like an appropriate song to learn, It's about starting over and a few years later, I met the woman of my dreams and started over. So far so good.

This is a song from the late Benny Martin, a fiddler who also happened to be a ukulele player, called If I Can Stay Away. That's Benny on the right.
Slumberin'.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive feedback from Brian, Ryan, Val and Mikkel!

There are a couple of songs that I practiced last year, but didn't manage to learn within the week.
I hope I can manage to finish one or two of those this week :)

Lookin' forward to hearing what you come up with Mikkel ~

Top Bottom