::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

My resistance (get it?) to electric cars is a combination of range and recharge. I know that there is a growing network of charging stations, but the time to “fill up” remains too long. I like a cross country road trip. I’m on one now.

Autonomous cars would be a boon to people like my MIL. Shouldn’t be driving, but is. I don’t think she’d give up control though.

There for the generation behind mine, I think.

On longer journeys, for sure at least at this time, I don't know how practical they are. Most of my stuff is <100 miles away. So they would probably work.

Now the next question is how long do the original batteries last. And when they are in need of changing, what's the cost.
Can the old batteries be recycled efficiently? Or are they more of a hardship on the environment than we might think?

Last edited:
My resistance (get it?) to electric cars is a combination of range and recharge. I know that there is a growing network of charging stations, but the time to “fill up” remains too long. I like a cross country road trip. I’m on one now.

Autonomous cars would be a boon to people like my MIL. Shouldn’t be driving, but is. I don’t think she’d give up control though.

There for the generation behind mine, I think.

There may be a growing network of recharging stations, but not here. Not yet.

I can't even think of one place, locally. I'd have to be able to be sure I could get the car home before it ran out of charge, and then be stuck there as long as it took to recharge it....

I can't even think of one place, locally. I'd have to be able to be sure I could get the car home before it ran out of charge, and then be stuck there as long as it took to recharge it....

The church I attend has charging stations.

A very happy and healthy new day to all!

It's a bit rainy and gray here today.

On Google maps I saw about 15 places in Rochester, NY near the lake on the north, 390 east side, 590 west side, 252 on the south side boxed in area.

Now what it cost to charge, I have no idea.

I can only assume if you get some app on your phone and use Google maps it will tell you where the next station is.

Computer errors ARE human errors as long as humans are still programming them.

I meant being able to differentiate hitting an obstruction on the road rather than the people or pedestrians to the sides if you try to avoid it. But maybe it senses that and just brakes accordingly?

On longer journeys, for sure at least at this time, I don't know how practical they are. Most of my stuff is <100 miles away. So they would probably work.

Now the next question is how long do the original batteries last. And when they are in need of changing, what's the cost.
Can the old batteries be recycled efficiently? Or are they more of a hardship on the environment than we might think?

I've had a kid do a research project stating that the carbon foot print of a battery powered car (resources to make the battery and disposal) creates a bigger foot print than a gas engine car.

On Google maps I saw about 15 places in Rochester, NY near the lake on the north, 390 east side, 590 west side, 252 on the south side boxed in area.

Now what it cost to charge, I have no idea.

I live in the land of Tesla. We have charging stations all over the place. The gold standard for charging stations are the ones that have "quick charging."

I've had a kid do a research project stating that the carbon foot print of a battery powered car (resources to make the battery and disposal) creates a bigger foot print than a gas engine car.

Bet he was a Republican.

Of course, one of the keys to electric cars is that you can install a charging station at home.

And I just did a quick Google search of the Rochester, NY, area for charging stations - came up with 30+ without even scrolling the map. I know you're not right in Rochester, though...

The carbon footprint is highly variable depending on how your utility generates its electricity. In my area, where the majority of the electricity comes from hydro power, the carbon footprint is quite low. In areas that use coal for the majority of their generation it will be quite a bit higher. No study I've seen (that wasn't conducted by a high school kid) has ever shown electric cars to have a larger carbon footprint than internal combustion engines - not even close.

The carbon footprint is highly variable depending on how your utility generates its electricity. In my area, where the majority of the electricity comes from hydro power, the carbon footprint is quite low. In areas that use coal for the majority of their generation it will be quite a bit higher. No study I've seen (that wasn't conducted by a high school kid) has ever shown electric cars to have a larger carbon footprint than internal combustion engines - not even close.

This kid just did a study on the Prius and specifically the battery manufacturing and disposal. He was bummed. His research was contrary to what he thought it would be. From what I remember the mining process for the chemicals in the battery, the manufacturing process and it's damage to the earth when disposed were more damaging than a gas powered car over the lifetime of the cars. He set out to prove that electric cars need to replace fossil fuel cars.

This kid just did a study on the Prius and specifically the battery manufacturing and disposal. He was bummed. His research was contrary to what he thought it would be. From what I remember the mining process for the chemicals in the battery, the manufacturing process and it's damage to the earth when disposed were more damaging than a gas powered car over the lifetime of the cars. He set out to prove that electric cars need to replace fossil fuel cars.

Oh - now environmental impact is a different argument! Lithium (used in the batteries) only has a couple of really good sources, from what I've heard, and obtaining it is pretty rough on the environment from which it comes. There's a dry lake in Chile that's basically flooded, the brine allowed to concentrate, and then stripped away.

Oh - now environmental impact is a different argument! Lithium (used in the batteries) only has a couple of really good sources, from what I've heard, and obtaining it is pretty rough on the environment from which it comes. There's a dry lake in Chile that's basically flooded, the brine allowed to concentrate, and then stripped away.

Maybe environmental impact was what he was measuring. It was for an FBLA project and I just helped him with proofread his paper. It stands out in my mind because of how bummed he was about his findings.

Maybe environmental impact was what he was measuring. It was for an FBLA project and I just helped him with proofread his paper. It stands out in my mind because of how bummed he was about his findings.

I really good at proofread too. :)

Top Bottom