::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was good fun.
I went to work, walked to Chinatown and got Nanilei a pikake and rosebud Lei, and then I got a call to go to a client halfway home. After I finished there I had Nanilei come pick me up. I ate my lunch while I waited. Then I remembered her Lei was still in the fridge at my office. So I had to go back to work anyway. I ran up and grabbed the Lei and slipped back out, then just made some calls to finish my work day. Then we went to dinner at Tanaka of Tokyo, a teppan place (like Benihana) but the food is good.
After that we went to Chiko's Tavern and heard some of our friends play music. They sang Happy Birthday to Nanilei. Then we went to B Patisserie and got Kouign-Ammans for dessert. YUM!
Great day!

Yesterday was good fun.
I went to work, walked to Chinatown and got Nanilei a pikake and rosebud Lei, and then I got a call to go to a client halfway home. After I finished there I had Nanilei come pick me up. I ate my lunch while I waited. Then I remembered her Lei was still in the fridge at my office. So I had to go back to work anyway. I ran up and grabbed the Lei and slipped back out, then just made some calls to finish my work day. Then we went to dinner at Tanaka of Tokyo, a teppan place (like Benihana) but the food is good.
After that we went to Chiko's Tavern and heard some of our friends play music. They sang Happy Birthday to Nanilei. Then we went to B Patisserie and got Kouign-Ammans for dessert. YUM!
Great day!

:biglaugh::biglaugh: .

I don't mean to dis Benihana completely - I mean their food is good, but just - standard I guess is a way to put it.
One of the big problems with restaurants here is I think it is very competitive and difficult to run a business at a profit.
It seems most places have to compromise - or charge A LOT.
So you get many "nice" restaurants that are expensive but the food is not spectacular.
We keep trying places and usually end up disappointed, especially when the cost of a mediocre meal does not sit well.
So, when we were trying to figure out where to go for Nanilei's birthday, we decided to go to Tanaka of Tokyo.
Because EVERY time we go there, we are satisfied with the food, have fun, and we actually do not mind paying the prices (each of our entrees were around $40).
The only other places that have been consistent for us for food:
Helena's (Hawaiian Food - only open during the week and close at 7PM)
Bob's Bar-B-Que (total hole in the wall, no place to sit comfortably, sketchy neighborhood, DELICIOUS)
Dillingham Saimin (just super good, good A/C, right across the street from Bob's)
Waiahole Poi Factory (on the completely opposite side of the island from us, super good!)
Char Hung Sut (Dim Sum)
Tanioka's (Gary Knows)
Kunio (Japanese - good food, can get busy)
Uncle's - (only been a few times, but never disappointed so far)
Bravo - reasonably priced Italian (American Italian)
Just about every place else (and I am not talking about chains) has been a disappointment.

And in that entire list none of them are any place I would take Nanilei for a birthday dinner, except maybe Kunio or possibly Uncle's.

Oh! and Itchy Butt! That place is always excellent! But it is just a take-out window. Korean Chicken.

OK back to work.

Damon, I'm glad to hear you heard from your mom!

And, I can't imagine paying $40 for a dinner entree. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't enjoy the meal, knowing the price. I'd be relegated to eating at home....

Damon, I'm glad to hear you heard from your mom!

And, I can't imagine paying $40 for a dinner entree. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wouldn't enjoy the meal, knowing the price. I'd be relegated to eating at home....

Well then you see my problem. Many of the "nice" restaurants charge much more than that - and the food is not all that great.
I will happily pay $40 for nice fresh piece of ocean-caught fish - I had done that a couple of times while the folks were visiting a couple of weeks ago. I love good fresh fish but I lack the confidence to cook it myself. It is expensive to buy and I do not want to ruin it. So I get it at a place I trust.
The prices at Tanaka go from $26 for just teriyaki chicken, through Rib-eye, wagyu, filet mignon, lobster, salmon, etc...
The big super seafood, filet, and lobster combo is $99.
I had the large size steak and chicken, Nanilei had steak and shrimp.

Well then you see my problem. Many of the "nice" restaurants charge much more than that - and the food is not all that great.
I will happily pay $40 for nice fresh piece of ocean-caught fish - I had done that a couple of times while the folks were visiting a couple of weeks ago. I love good fresh fish but I lack the confidence to cook it myself. It is expensive to buy and I do not want to ruin it. So I get it at a place I trust.
The prices at Tanaka go from $26 for just teriyaki chicken, through Rib-eye, wagyu, filet mignon, lobster, salmon, etc...
The big super seafood, filet, and lobster combo is $99.
I had the large size steak and chicken, Nanilei had steak and shrimp.

Get some fish from Costco and practice. Fish, cooking for that matter, is all about confidence.

Mika and I were just talking about that last night.

How much of a disappoint Morimoto's turned out to be. Super expensive and DK Steakhouse/Sansei Sushi was flat out better at 1/3 the price.

Mika and I were just talking about that last night.

How much of a disappoint Morimoto's turned out to be. Super expensive and DK Steakhouse/Sansei Sushi was flat out better at 1/3 the price.

Oh yeah, DK/Sansei definitely deserves a spot on the "good" list.
We just don't go to steakhouse type places anymore.
My steak blows them away.
I just made steak for the family on North Shore recently, they could not stop talking about how good it was.
I want to get that way with fish.
And you're right Gary. I *know* my steak is delicious, I know how to choose the meat, season it, and cook it.
I used to cook swordfish for my mom all the time, and she said I did great (I did not each much fish in those days) so I want to try again.

Oh yeah, DK/Sansei definitely deserves a spot on the "good" list.
We just don't go to steakhouse type places anymore.
My steak blows them away.
I just made steak for the family on North Shore recently, they could not stop talking about how good it was.
I want to get that way with fish.
And you're right Gary. I *know* my steak is delicious, I know how to choose the meat, season it, and cook it.
I used to cook swordfish for my mom all the time, and she said I did great (I did not each much fish in those days) so I want to try again.

Are you one of the salmon haters?

Easiest to grill. No correct way. I put the skin side up first to get a nice sear/grill marks on the fish. I wait until I can see that it has cooked about 1/3 of the way up towards the skin when looking at the sides. Flip it onto the skin side and cook just until it show's signs of "bleeding" that white stuff that comes out. Actually if that comes out it's done. With salmon you can take it off a bit early and it will continuation cook and stay moist.

Are you one of the salmon haters?

Easiest to grill. No correct way. I put the skin side up first to get a nice sear/grill marks on the fish. I wait until I can see that it has cooked about 1/3 of the way up towards the skin when looking at the sides. Flip it onto the skin side and cook just until it show's signs of "bleeding" that white stuff that comes out. Actually if that comes out it's done. With salmon you can take it off a bit early and it will continuation cook and stay moist.

I also oil the fish with canola or some type of light oil so it cooks a little more evenly. I just salt and pepper lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom