Pono ACD Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I fully agree: I have owned about 9 instruments from Pono and have never been disappointed. As you say: best bang for the buck and well worth to pay a bit more than for the usual mass produced import ukes from an anonymous, ubiquous Chinese factory.

I also agree with your dislike of the Ko'olau factory strings. Except for their new Fluorocarbon "Aho" sets which are great.

Interestingly, your comments on the volume are exactly how I found my Pono tenor. Tone and sustain were wonderful but I like a little more effortless response in terms of volume. I prefer it a bit more "in your face" as you would say Baz!

Hi Baz,

Thanks for posting your review.

I received mine today, as a surprise gift-an incredible gift; however, I'm struggling to gel with it. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Snail Solid Mahogany Concert (as recommended by Baz), which I promptly broke weeks later (unfortunate story). While my Snail isn't perfect (the seams on the back don't line up), but it sounds worse after watching it bounce across the pavement. However, I enjoyed it for the loud, deep sounds (although it's not clear), and it was relatively enjoyable to play.

The Pono ACD is a cleaner sound, a better build, but it's so quiet and high sounding that it's bothering me.

After a discussion with the store, they've pushed me towards a KoAloha Spruce Concert; however, I hate to say it, the Spruce is not a looker. And while I know my decision should be based on more about the sound than the look, I'm not loving the thought of parting with that much cash for something I won't love.

But here's the rub: I have asked for another alternative to these two, and have been told there's nothing in the price range (£500-600) that would be a contender for a low and loud sounding alternative. I've been advised not to bother with the Ko'aloha Acacia as there wouldn't be much variation between it and the Pono.

KoAloha Spruce can't be the only option. So, I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a few models, even lower priced ones. Not fussed about brand, but would like to find a balance between a clean low-loud-looker.

Look forward to your responses. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
You'd be best reposting this in the general discussion forum - but.....
I would think about going to Dave Morgan or Tin Guitar and get what you want made to your wishes - they are both excellent builders.

Otherwise I'd look at the Anuenue spruce top they have at SUS - its a better looking Spruce (my opinion anyway), but it does cost a little more than you want.

Hi Baz,

I received mine today, as a surprise gift-an incredible gift; however, I'm struggling to gel with it. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Snail Solid Mahogany Concert (as recommended by Baz), which I promptly broke weeks later (unfortunate story). While my Snail isn't perfect (the seams on the back don't line up), but it sounds worse after watching it bounce across the pavement. However, I enjoyed it for the loud, deep sounds (although it's not clear), and it was relatively enjoyable to play.

The Pono ACD is a cleaner sound, a better build, but it's so quiet and high sounding that it's bothering me.

After a discussion with the store, they've pushed me towards a KoAloha Spruce Concert; however, I hate to say it, the Spruce is not a looker. And while I know my decision should be based on more about the sound than the look, I'm not loving the thought of parting with that much cash for something I won't love.

But here's the rub: I have asked for another alternative to these two, and have been told there's nothing in the price range (£500-600) that would be a contender for a low and loud sounding alternative. I've been advised not to bother with the Ko'aloha Acacia as there wouldn't be much variation between it and the Pono.

KoAloha Spruce can't be the only option. So, I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a few models, even lower priced ones. Not fussed about brand, but would like to find a balance between a clean low-loud-looker.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jester.

Yes, wrong place to post, apologies.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest a couple of models/builders. I'll check those out now.

:)

Hi Baz,

Loud and sweet describe the Martin T1-K. It's awesome!

Loud and sweet describe the Martin T1-K. It's awesome!

Thanks PD :D

Well, I've ignored the store advice, one person's advice at least. The other shop assistant was in favour of the Ukulele I went for: the Opio Acacia Concert with a long neck, because it was the first one they bought when they started at the store and still love, so if this is the Uke they could love among so many, then that's good enough for me.

Not sure how difficult it'll be to play with a long neck, but I'll test it out when it arrives -- hopefully on Wednesday.

Thanks again for all your help. If I don't get on with the Opio, I'll work my way through your list :)

Thanks PD :D

Well, I've ignored the store advice, one person's advice at least. The other shop assistant was in favour of the Ukulele I went for: the Opio Acacia Concert with a long neck, because it was the first one they bought when they started at the store and still love, so if this is the Uke they could love among so many, then that's good enough for me.

Not sure how difficult it'll be to play with a long neck, but I'll test it out when it arrives -- hopefully on Wednesday.

Thanks again for all your help. If I don't get on with the Opio, I'll work my way through your list :)

I think you made a good choice from all I've heard about the Opio line. I don't live where I could play one - enjoy!

PD, I almost regret having to say how much I love it (since you can't get your hands on one). Sorry to hear that.

It has arrived, it is a beauty: amazing grain, the pegs are quality, the nut is perfectly positioned, and it sings, really sings--great volume on it too.

Sure the spruce might have been the better choice for a type of sound, but I wanted the full package of a good looking singer.

Happy :D

Now I need to find a cheap concert to bash about with that sounds good enough, but can cope with a kid.

I think you made a good choice from all I've heard about the Opio line. I don't live where I could play one - enjoy!

Really nice when a thread about one particular brand gets totally overtaken by something else entirely..

Sorry, Baz.

I had hoped a mod would have moved it into a different and more appropriate section.

Maybe they might now.

Thanks.

Really nice when a thread about one particular brand gets totally overtaken by something else entirely..

Never been let down by Pono before. This doesn't change that!

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/10/pono-acd-concert-ukulele-review.html

The only time I have been disappointed by Pono (I own 4) was when I purchased a Master Series Cedar Top Mahogany Tenor (MTSH-C-MS), the one with an arm bevel and side sound port, from HMS (theukulelesite.com) and it was rejected in setup because of a crack in it near the neck. This was supposed to be an instrument with carefully hand-selected woods and hand builds done by only the top craftsmen at Pono. So, how a crack made it through the process is beyond me. It was the only cedar/mahogany one made. The last one in stock was a MS made of acacia that I wasn't too impressed with the look of the woods. These were touted as being Pono's top-of-the-line showcase, limited edition ukuleles.

I am highly impressed with HMS for letting me know about the problem and that they had rejected it for sale after finding the flaw while inspecting it before setup. They tried to get a replacement, but after 3 months they told me it didn't look like Pono was going to make any more. Bummer.

Issues with even the highest end ukes can slip through. I once rejected a Hawaiian Koaloha for a split. It happens on occasion. QC is a human process and human error happens.

Top Bottom