Kamaka tenor and Koaloha tenor

Aiyo

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

I'm looking for any feed back on the Kamaka tenor and Koaloha tenor. I've never scene or heard these in person, but from some of the reviews I've read, and pictures I've seen, these seem to be the two that I'm looking for.
I am absolutely [too many words fit here] in love with the way they look (from the pictures). They are golden... :drool:

Anyway, how do these two sound in a back to back comparison? I like a deep rich but lively sound. I play a variety of songs, mainly contemporary (though i kick it old school to :D) and some that I've made up. I also plan on tuning it low G because i love teh basss the low sound of it, though I'll tune it for regular/high G sometimes.

Durability?.. I am a hobbyist that moves on and back. I've been into longboarding, computers, audiophiling, cars, ect all of which I've spent good money into.. So I would like it to be something that I could keep for a looong time and since its an instrument, maybe pass it on to my children..

So in summary which do you prefer/think is better? Why?

feel free to add any other comments.

I'd go with Koaloha.

Their customer service is top notch from what I have heard and I think they may have the tone you are looking for.

They project really well and I think are perfect ukes for a Low G set up.

Have you given any thought to Kanile'a or Ko'olau? I am not saying they are better, they are just comparable.

Aiyo where you from? If you can go to a store that sales both. Imo kamakas are a little overpriced. The older ones sound great. I prefer koaloha (own a concert and am in process of getting sceptre).

Imo kamakas are a little overpriced.

I both agree and disagree with this.

When you get a Kamaka you are going to get a great uke that will be worth every penny, but you are also paying for that name. You could get a comparable uke for less, but it won't be a Kamaka. Does that make any sense? Haha.

When you get a Kamaka you are going to get a great uke that will be worth every penny, but you are also paying for that name. You could get a comparable uke for less, but it won't be a Kamaka. Does that make any sense? Haha.

I totally agree with you. The first uke I heard was a kamaka and the second uke I ever heard was a mele. One day I'll own a kamaka but it'll be a soprano. I also think the kanileas are overpriced. It's all in the name. It is like motorcycles. I own a harley and I want a bigger bike I can get a brand new metric for a few grand cheaper than the used road king I got my eyes on.

Last edited:
Im from San Jose, CA around the Alum Rock area.

For the other side of the coin, I really prefer Kamaka over KoAloha. The KoAlohas are certainly well made and very loud, but I think the Kamaka sound is sweeter. I also really don't like the styling of any of the KoAloha bridges or headstocks. Plus, for passing down a ukulele, I think that tradition and history of Kamaka can't be beat. But I know you will probably get more votes for KoAloha as they are great ukuleles and super popular, they are just way too trendy for my liking (especially the jukebox and sceptre models).

As a close second to Kamaka though I really like Kanile'a. I think their customer service equals that of KoAloha, while they also sound as loud as KoAloha while maintaining the traditional look of a ukulele. Plus, I think their uv finish is superior to the finish on either KoAloha or Kamaka. Just a thought...but as to your original question I vote Kamaka.
It's interesting to me that people think Kamaka and Kanile'a are overpriced when KoAloha costs the same or more than they do. I think it is a totally subjective thing: people who like one brand over the other justify it's price while accusing the others of being overpriced. To me, my Kamaka and Kanile'a are worth every penny I paid while I wouldn't dpdnd the money on a KoAloha. To others it is the exact opposite. In the end, I think they are all a good value for what you are spending.

Last edited:
WW I was thinking same thing. Koalohas are a little less expensive I think but I haven't looked in awhile at a kamaka or kanilea. I justify the cost of the koaloha. I can almost justify the kamaka but their prices just aren't steady. I think the difference is a koaloha has 2 prices for their tenors where as kamaka and kanilea have levels of tenors. It really does come down to personal preference.

I was in Hawaii and got to play a PIneapple Sunday and a Kamaka Tenor. Could not find a Koaloha tenor on Maui where I was. The Pineapple was BEAUTIFUL played loud but out of my price range:(
I bought the Kamaka and love it a ton and play it all the time. You could buy either one and you will be happy plus I believe there is about a $30 difference in price or some where close.

koaloha is super popular? o-o Amongst my friends, they only know of kamaka and Ko'olau. haha

Anyway, price isn't too much of a worry, but saving cash is always good. Does anyone know of any stores near me that carry ukes (hopefully kamaka and/or koaloha tenors)?

As for the kanile, I'm not to sure about that uke either. I only recently heard about them.

perfectly said!!

where i work, we have home brand chicken tenders. A compnay inghams make them. They all almost completely the same! Although over $2 more.

Why you ask?!? ALl about the brand ;)

umm... Kamaka originally, but koAloha.... I dunno, buy both.

i'd go for a kanile'a tenor, the worksman ship, unbelievable sound and georgous look make them in the top and with the TRU bracing system it makes the sound even more devine, koo'lou im not a fan off, kamaka sound dead to me (unless its an older one, i think pre 2000 where the best but dont quote me), and koaloha have there own IMO unique sound which some love and some find ok....

i'd go for a kanile'a tenor, the worksman ship, unbelievable sound and georgous look make them in the top and with the TRU bracing system it makes the sound even more devine, koo'lou im not a fan off, kamaka sound dead to me (unless its an older one, i think pre 2000 where the best but dont quote me), and koaloha have there own IMO unique sound which some love and some find ok....

Spoken like someone about to get a kanilea:)

You really need to go and take a look at these brands yourself. These $1000 ukes all have their pluses and "minuses", or maybe peculiarities, but you and only you can decide what appeals to you.

I never held a Kamaka in my life, so you have to check out other people's opinions (although nothing comes close to holding it and listening to one right in front of you). My Koaloha, yes it is anoyingly loud, but you can play softly if you learn how to. What is great about a good uke, is that it 'sings' when you play. Not only do you hear the notes you play, but all kinds of overtones and what else (ask an expert). For me, this means picking up that uke is rewarded time and again by an overwhelming pleasure of sound. I am sure this is possible with a cheaper uke as well, but you need to go and check it out yourself.

Kanile'a ukes are beautiful as well, and possess that same "magic" in their sound, at least from the ones I played in the shop. Beautiful instruments as well, a bit more mellow than a Koaloha. I'd love to have one, but funds are out and the Koaloha doesn't let me wander my eye to other beauties anyway. But they are something special for sure.

It depends on the specific 'ukulele. Every instrument that comes out of the Kamaka and Koaloha factory - while all manufactured with the same specs and processes - will be different. Some will sound better, some will look better, some will play better. It's the spirit of the instrument. Maybe it comes from the TLC they put in at the shop, or maybe it's just the vibe of the materials. I can't say, but I do know that it is the most important thing to "feel" for when shopping.

In a nutshell I guess what I'm trying to say is: A nice Kamaka will outrank a bad Koaloha any day. And likewise, a nice Koaloha will outrank a bad Kamaka.

If you are considering getting a "great" 'ukulele like a Kamaka or Koaloha - try before you buy. If you get it online you might end up with somebody elses instrument, if you know what I mean. I believe that a handmade 'ukulele will pretty much choose it's owner. That's what happened for me. So hopefully you have a chance to look at a good number of 'ukuleles from each of your favorite brands - they are all different.

That said, I picked a Kamaka. I hope you find a match.

Dude, those are both played out. Everybody's already got one! I've got a Ko'Aloha concert. Sure, it's sweet, but what you want is a refined instrument, a gentleman's instrument, something like an impeccably crafted Kiwaya concert uke. It just so happens I have one up for auction... But that's totally unrelated to the fact that I think you should buy it. Totally.

(I like my Ko'Aloha, but if you can swing the cash for the Kamaka, I think I'd go with that. The Ko'Aloha's do definitely have "cool" factor, though!)

me, no, not getting one just think there good ;) whats your opinion on koalohas since your getting that sceptre :drool:

Well I already have a koaloha concert and I pretty much only play it. When I visited the factory all they had were sopranos and concerts. Never played a scetre but I've always wanted one. The story behind koaloha and meeting them in person just speaks so much for the instrument.

Top Bottom