Tiny Boy Bass

maddogsauce

Reaction score
Just ordered one of the p bass models on Reverb, and excited to try it out. These have a 23" scale and some specially designed strings that allow for standard tuning and standard string tension. There are fretted and fretless models, j and p style pickups and a 5 string option. The fretless comes standard with flats, which for these special strings cost $100+ by themselves. More to come...

Attachments

• 79807754_2860537260633227_5478922048149389312_n.jpg
    79807754_2860537260633227_5478922048149389312_n.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
I saw those at NAMM a couple of years ago. Checking the web I see they cost over $600. The new Kala Galli 23" flatwound steel with nylon core work perfectly on my magnetic pickup mini basses, they cost about $40.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Fortunately I was able to make a lower offer than the advertised price, and was surprised when it was accepted. I'm excited to see the quality.

Fortunately I was able to make a lower offer than the advertised price, and was surprised when it was accepted. I'm excited to see the quality.
Good deal, how much was it? Looks like they're only available from sellers outside the US.

Last edited:
I bought the high end model with maple top, mahogany body and ebony fretboard and got a price of $550. I also purchased some Dimarzio Relentless pickups to be installed as well. I actually just got the bass in the mail last night, and it plays great. That said, I'm not super thrilled with the top. It looks like they lined up a bunch of flame maple boards and cut bodies out of them without making sure that each side of the instrument was cut from the same board. What I mean is that there is a visible straight line going horizontally across the top of the instrument that appears to be where two separate boards meet. Overall I'm excited though, and it's very fun to play!

...It looks like they lined up a bunch of flame maple boards and cut bodies out of them without making sure that each side of the instrument was cut from the same board. What I mean is that there is a visible straight line going horizontally across the top of the instrument that appears to be where two separate boards meet...
Can you post some photos? I'm curious.

Last edited:
It's more visible on the left side where you can see the dark line. The right side near the knobs is much more hidden.

Attachments

• 20210331_120433.jpg
    20210331_120433.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210331_120441.jpg
    20210331_120441.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 49
It's more visible on the left side where you can see the dark line. The right side near the knobs is much more hidden.
That's very odd, the grain seems to cross over the line. I can't figure out why that would be. I don't see that on any of the ones shown on the web site. Seems a little deceptive to me. I had a custom mini bass Telecaster made that I wanted natural, the builder used poplar, but the slabs did not match up very well, so after a few years of "living with it," I finally decided to have it painted.

Tele with strap 700.jpg

Tele Capri Orange 900.jpg

Last edited:
I reached out to Tiny Boy regarding the lines on the top and they are sending a replacement. They're new, so it took a bit to figure out how they were going to replace it, but it's on it's way now. The gentleman who has been helping me was very nice, and hopefully they won't run into that issue moving forward. Overall I really enjoy this bass though. Once I receive the replacement, I'm going to have a local luthier install some new DiMarzio Relentless p bass pickups and a Hipshot KickAss bridge. I also have some custom tapewound strings coming from Pyramid Strings as well. Really excited for the replacement!

All I did was email them, and I think they actually had a couple sets already made for a 23" scale. They just ask what length you need from the ball to the nut. pyramid@junger.de

All I did was email them, and I think they actually had a couple sets already made for a 23" scale. They just ask what length you need from the ball to the nut.
What did those strings cost?

There's a button at the top to translate to english...
No buttons to translate. It's because they designed the web site only for Windows users, not Mac, even though Macs are the biggest selling computers now. I run into that, especially for European web sights. Also tried on my iPhone, same thing. Very short sighted.

Last edited:
In the ballpark of all the others. I'll ask them if they can do flatwound.

When I first reached out, they didn't seem to want to do flatwounds in that length for a number of reasons. I was looking for tapewound either way, so it's fine with me. They will probably make flatwounds but urge you against it.

Top Bottom