1965 Roy Smeck? WHAAAAT

soulpowerbreaks

Reaction score
Hi, i'm brand new here and this is my first post! :) I'm Brian Verchot aka soulpowerbreaks from Alabama. I normally sing and make electronic/hip-hop music, but I've just started learning to play the ukulele. In fact, I was talking to my mom the other day about thinking about picking up the ukulele, and she told me that apparently my dad used to play the ukulele (I was surprised initially, though that was rather stupid of me considering my parents play pretty much anything that can be plucked or strummed). He led me to the back room of my house and reached into a nearby closet and...voila!

He produced from that closet a near perfect condition Roy Smeck ukulele whose strings haven't been changed in several decades. It cost about $18 at the time it was purchased (1965).

I don't know much about and can't really find any information about Roy Smeck ukuleles. Does anyone know about them at all?

RoySmUke.jpg

They're still worth $18 but I'll give you $20 for it since I'm a good friend.

I don't know you that well, so I don't think i'll humor your inclination to be known as my "friend," lol. Really, i'd like to know more about this uke other than that it's worth about $20.

I figured he was pulling my chain! I just wanted to play along. From what i've read he's incredibly talented and an all around good guy.

Thanks for the info thus far :)

I recognize those tuners. Same as on my plastic fretboard Harmony soprano, which by the way is a great sounding uke for having a plastic fretboard.

I recognize those tuners. Same as on my plastic fretboard Harmony soprano, which by the way is a great sounding uke for having a plastic fretboard.

Oh yeah. I heard it wears out over time but it gives it almost a southern twang. I really love it.

I've got a Harmony from around the same era. It's one of a few in my quiver. It will be a great uke for you to learn on, for sure, and it has good karma since it was your Dads.

The Roy Smeck versions are supposedly "better" because of....Roy Smeck.

You came to the right place to learn about all things ukulele. But don't let Deach lowball you, I'll give you $25.:shaka:

Heh that's what I learned on listening to Beirut at stoplights delivering pizzas. I got it from my dad, and it's about the same age as yours, it's sitting in my room now next to my Concert sized Ohana Ck-35. I like the later more :p

Top Bottom