Another tuning question

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
How would you tune a tenor to Bb tuning and does it have to be re-entrant or can it be linear, I prefer linear? I have no idea what gauge strings to use for Bb tuning.

How would you tune a tenor to Bb tuning and does it have to be re-entrant or can it be linear, I prefer linear? I have no idea what gauge strings to use for Bb tuning.

You can use same strings.

Be aware though that you will have less tension and possible intonation going a hair sharp, with also lower volume but MORE sustain because of less tension.

Notes are 2 semitones lower than G-C-E-A, i.e. F-Bb-D-G

Can be either linear or re-entrant, up to you.

I have my koa tenor Fluke even lower than that in E-A-C#-F#, re-entrant with Martin M620 strings and it sounds great to me, is easy to play, but the main reason is that the A6 tuning fits my vocal range. And no , I do NOT bother to transpose, I play the original C6 chord shapes and just hammer along, since this is only for me when I play/sing at home.

Hope this helps. :)

Most tenor sets are too high tension for my liking anyway so dropping to Bb is perfect. As maki66 says if that doesn't work for you, Southcoast has options to try different tensions

I used to have a ukulele tuned to Bb. I used the same strings and it was an improvement over C tuning. It is an issue if you play with others as transposing, especially on the fly is too nerve racking... at least for me.

It does work well if you play alone.

John

I used to have a ukulele tuned to Bb. I used the same strings and it was an improvement over C tuning. It is an issue if you play with others as transposing, especially on the fly is too nerve racking... at least for me.

It does work well if you play alone.

John

Or, use a capo of fret 2 and you are back :)

Top Bottom