Moore Bettah String Trials

I loved Aquila best until I met Living Waters :)

Woah now! That post originated over 7 years ago, long before we had all the choices we have now. Fluorocarbons weren't even available back then so my opinions have definitely changed on string preference. There has been an explosion of new string materials available in the last handful of years. Aquilas may have been the best available at the time but for me they have fallen way towards the back of the pack since then.

Yes, strings have improved significantly in the last 7+ years. As the saying goes: That was then and this is now. My MB came strung with Southcoast mediums and a Fremont soloist. I love the Soloist and really like the Southcoasts. However, tried a set of southcoast on my Kamaka Ohta-san and got lots of bad A string buzzzzzz.......not enough tension.(by the way, the 1st Southcoast set on the Kamaka was damaged, and Andrew at HMS more than did the right thing). I like Oasis strings, but have found the "smooth wound low G" to be a squeaker; especially compared to the Fremont. Finally, the Aquilas, and I'm not exactly sure how to say this.............but I think that they are too "BOMBASTIC" on a high-end custom instrument like a MB. However, they are by far the best improvement available for your lower-end beach beater.

Yes, strings have improved significantly in the last 7+ years. As the saying goes: That was then and this is now. My MB came strung with Southcoast mediums and a Fremont soloist. I love the Soloist and really like the Southcoasts. However, tried a set of southcoast on my Kamaka Ohta-san and got lots of bad A string buzzzzzz.......not enough tension.(by the way, the 1st Southcoast set on the Kamaka was damaged, and Andrew at HMS more than did the right thing). I like Oasis strings, but have found the "smooth wound low G" to be a squeaker; especially compared to the Fremont. Finally, the Aquilas, and I'm not exactly sure how to say this.............but I think that they are too "BOMBASTIC" on a high-end custom instrument like a MB. However, they are by far the best improvement available for your lower-end beach beater.

Yeah I have the Oasis combined with a Fremont Soloist on mine. The Fremonts really are pretty squeakless for a wound string. I liked the Southcoast a lot (how my other uke came), but had the A string break on the last two sets I bought so wanted to go with something else. The Savarez Alliance with a Savarez Cantiga is very nice as well, very clear tones and sustain. For now it looks like that or the Oasis/Fremont will be my go-to for these ukes. Now that my UAS is satiated, my StringAcquistionSyndrome will probably be my main purchases.

Yeah I have the Oasis combined with a Fremont Soloist on mine. The Fremonts really are pretty squeakless for a wound string. I liked the Southcoast a lot (how my other uke came), but had the A string break on the last two sets I bought so wanted to go with something else. The Savarez Alliance with a Savarez Cantiga is very nice as well, very clear tones and sustain. For now it looks like that or the Oasis/Fremont will be my go-to for these ukes. Now that my UAS is satiated, my StringAcquistionSyndrome will probably be my main purchases.
I'm kinda in the same place UAS/SAS wise........................which is only a problem in that I hate string changes!!

I'm kinda in the same place UAS/SAS wise........................which is only a problem in that I hate string changes!!

Haha, I am a bit of a freak in that I kinda like doing them, I find them relaxing in a weird way. Plus, I am always excited to hear how they sound and see how they feel. That being said, I haven't done one yet on my slotted headstock, offset soundhole uke...that could be an adventure.

Top Bottom